Simon Harris criticises ‘botched’ communication on SNAs

The Department of Education ‘paused’ a review of SNA allocations after a public backlash.
Simon Harris criticises ‘botched’ communication on SNAs

By Cillian Sherlock, Press Association

A review into the allocation of special needs assistants (SNAs) should be completed within a month, the Tánaiste has said, after a minister said there was “no point” in setting a target date.

Simon Harris said initial communication about it, in which almost 200 schools were told they could lose SNAs, was “botched”.

He said: “It is a really bad situation that caused a lot of upset, a lot of anger, a lot of hurt from parents of children with special educational needs, from children themselves, from SNAS and from teachers.”

The Department of Education “paused” a review of SNA allocations after a public backlash and outcry from opposition TDs, teachers, parents, and trade unions.

It came after the National Council for Special Education told several schools they could lose part of their SNA allocation.

It is a really bad situation that caused a lot of upset, a lot of anger, a lot of hurt from parents of children with special educational needs, from children themselves, from SNAS and from teachers
Tanaiste Simon Harris

On Friday, Minister of State for Special Education Michael Moynihan said there was “no point” in announcing a target completion for the review after the pause.

Mr Moynihan also repeatedly refused to say if he expected any schools to lose SNAs.

The comments were described as “disgraceful” by Sinn Féin TD Pearse Doherty.

Mr Doherty accused Mr Moynihan of plunging families into panic and said: “Children with additional needs and their families are entitled to certainty, stability and respect.

“Parents and SNAs deserve a straight answer: Will any school lose SNA posts in September – yes or no?”

Asked about Mr Moynihan’s comments on a timeline, Mr. Harris said it was not up to him but it was his view the review should be done within a month.

He said: “It can only take a matter of weeks, and that’s just being honest, because we have to be able to provide clarity for the schools, and, most importantly, clarity for the children and their parents, and they need to have that clarity well in advance of September.”

Mr Moynihan also acknowledged communication around the issue was “wrong” and there was a need “for a far better system”.

Sinn Fein’s Pearse Doherty
Sinn Féin’s Pearse Doherty (Brian Lawless/PA)

He said the Department said it would engage intensively with schools individually.

Mr Moynihan said, “We cannot proceed with this because the (school) system does not have confidence in it.”

Asked if any school would lose an SNA in September, Mr Moynihan said: “The process is now paused.”

He said the Department would ensure there is “no cliff edge”.

He told RTE’s Morning Ireland: “There will be no decisions made, the entire process is paused which means whatever communication there was heretofore, there will be new communication.”

There's no point coming out and saying to you it will be done in a number of days, a number of weeks
Minister for Special Education Michael Moynihan

Pressed on whether that means the notified schools would not lose SNAs, Mr Moynihan reiterated that the process had been paused.

After initially saying the process would be done in “a number of weeks” and “as soon as possible", Mr Moynihan declined to give a specific date.

“There’s no point coming out and saying to you it will be done in a number of days, a number of weeks – it will be done properly.”

The minister repeatedly refused to say if any schools would lose SNAs or how many positions would be redeployed.

He said: “Let me be very clear, right? We have paused the entire process so therefore until that process is completely reviewed we will not be scaremongering, we will engage meticulously with all school communities and families that have contacted us.”

However, he said schools that had been told they would get an additional allocation would still receive that support.

“We’re increasing the number of SNAs.”

Mr Doherty said the Government should “confirm unequivocally that no school will lose SNA support as a result of this flawed process.”

He said: “Our children deserve better than a Government that is making policy on the hoof. They deserve certainty that they will have the support they need to thrive.”

More in this section

Provisional liquidator appointed to companies with small hotels in Cork Provisional liquidator appointed to companies with small hotels in Cork
Genesis Scottish Open - Preview Day Three Denis O’Brien fails in High Court appeal against DPC dismissal of Red Flag complaint
Ex-pastor who embezzled €125k from church has sentence reduced on appeal Ex-pastor who embezzled €125k from church has sentence reduced on appeal

Sponsored Content

Heads are turning for pharmacy investment property in the heart of buzzing Charleville Heads are turning for pharmacy investment property in the heart of buzzing Charleville
Charity places available for Cork City Marathon Charity places available for Cork City Marathon
Turning risk into reward: Top business risks in 2026 Turning risk into reward: Top business risks in 2026
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more