‘Clear’ new disciplinary appeals panel needed for Enoch Burke, judge finds

The decision came during High Court proceedings which saw Mr Burke and members of his family removed by gardai due to disruption.
‘Clear’ new disciplinary appeals panel needed for Enoch Burke, judge finds

By Cillian Sherlock, Press Association

A new panel will have to be appointed to review Enoch Burke’s dismissal from Wilson’s Hospital School, after a judge struck out proceedings relating to the dispute.

The decision came during High Court proceedings which saw Mr Burke and members of his family removed from the hearings by gardaí due to disruption.

He had sought a temporary injunction against a Disciplinary Appeals Panel (DAP) body that was reviewing the decision to dismiss him from the school.

Two members of the tripartite panel had resigned ahead of making a decision, while Mr Burke also objected to the third member sitting on the body, who was a representative of the Association of Secondary Teachers Ireland (ASTI).

Mr Burke had sought an injunction against the members of the DAP making any recommendation on his appeal or taking any further steps relating to the process.

He had also said the “refusal” of Geraldine O’Brien, the ASTI representative, to resign was unfair and unreasonable, and said the manner in which the DAP had conducted the appeal was also unfair.

Enoch Burke standing outside, with a large building in the background
Enoch Burke outside Wilson’s Hospital School (Brian Lawless/PA)

Legal representation for the DAP said Mr Burke had been provided with a letter stating Ms O’Brien and the other two members of the body would not and could not be part of any new panel.

Mr Burke challenged the position on the basis that Ms O’Brien had not resigned and argued the DAP was still in existence.

On Friday, Mr Justice Brian Cregan said the proceedings against the DAP were “moot”, stating it is “clear” a new panel will have to be appointed.

Mr Justice Cregan said it is also “clear” a new DAP would not contain any of the members on the previous panel.

He also said Mr Burke had obtained the relief he had sought, not by order of the court but by the “facts on the ground”.

The judge said none of the named defendants could issue recommendations on the appeal, nor take any further steps.

Mr Justice Cregan struck out the proceedings and ordered Mr Burke be liable for the day’s costs.

He also said he did not intend to make any order in favour of Mr Burke’s expenses.

More in this section

Sligo man jailed for 20 years for sexual abuse of five of his children Sligo man jailed for 20 years for sexual abuse of five of his children
Plaques bearing name of former Lord Mayor convicted of sexual assault removed from Cork City Plaques bearing name of former Lord Mayor convicted of sexual assault removed from Cork City
Team Ireland Milano Cortina 2026 Content Capture Day ahead of Winter Olympics Ben Lynch becomes first Irish skier to qualify for any Winter Olympics final

Sponsored Content

Heads are turning for pharmacy investment property in the heart of buzzing Charleville Heads are turning for pharmacy investment property in the heart of buzzing Charleville
Charity places available for Cork City Marathon Charity places available for Cork City Marathon
Turning risk into reward: Top business risks in 2026 Turning risk into reward: Top business risks in 2026
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more