Dáil hears of the devastating impact of recent floods on communities

TDs told the Minister responsible for the Office of Public Works about the need for better flood defences and warnings.
Dáil hears of the devastating impact of recent floods on communities

By Bairbre Holmes, Press Association

The government made 137 emergency response payments to flood victims in eight counties, the minister responsible for the Office of Public Works has said.

Kevin “Boxer” Moran, an independent TD who serves as a Minister of State in the government, said, as of Monday, 53 applications had also been made for emergency humanitarian flooding support.

It is a scheme to help small businesses and community, voluntary and sports organisations that have suffered damage.

Earlier this month the Government announced an expansion of the scheme from a limit of €20,000 to €100,000 and made it available to organisations with up to 50 employees, up from 20.

Moran was addressing the Dáil about the series of floods that hit a number of areas across the country in the first few weeks of this year.

Several TDs told the minister of the impact the flooding has had on their constituents.

Sinn Féin’s Johnny Mythen said roads around his hometown of Enniscorthy were “completely obliterated altogether”, 60 businesses in the region were affected, "some of whom have stated that they won’t even open again” and many of the homes “destroyed by water and contaminated effluence” were occupied by old age pensioners.

The area has been flooded 16 times since the year 2000, he told Moran, adding: “I’m sure you realise the anguish, the torment, the feeling of desperation and the sleepless nights these people have gone through.”

Mythen said homeowners in the area have a “snowball’s chance in hell” of getting insurance and “must replace every stick of furniture, including kitchens, fridges, personal belongings, and most of their white goods themselves”.

The issue needs to be treated as a “humanitarian emergency”, he said.

He said the delay to the Slaney flood relief because of the potential impact on the fresh water mussel was “infuriating” people and “pleaded” with the minister to “act now” and “approve the flood relief scheme independently”.

Fianna Fáil’s Malcolm Byrne said Bunclody in Co Wexford had faced “the first serious flooding in 60 years” when the Slaney burst its banks, and said it was “horrific” visiting some of the impacted homes and businesses.

Many of them had flood insurance, but “they won’t get it again”, he said.

He added: “We do need to look at some sort of state guarantees until a permanent flood defence system is put in place in these communities”.

more Politics articles

Limerick mayor in ‘catch-22 situation’ with role which needs clarity Limerick mayor in ‘catch-22 situation’ with role which needs clarity
Taoiseach criticised over uncertainty around Rotunda Hospital’s future Taoiseach criticised over uncertainty around Rotunda Hospital’s future
‘State needs to lead’ on right to work remotely – Labour TD ‘State needs to lead’ on right to work remotely – Labour TD

More in this section

‘A fresh start’: Paul Costelloe house unveils first collection since designer’s death ‘A fresh start’: Paul Costelloe house unveils first collection since designer’s death
Inquest into death of the late, Margaret O'Doherty  Day 2 Family of woman who went into cardiac arrest during dental procedure and later died settle action
Two ‘decent incomes’ no longer enough to afford a home, says Pearse Doherty Two ‘decent incomes’ no longer enough to afford a home, says Pearse Doherty

Sponsored Content

Charity places available for Cork City Marathon Charity places available for Cork City Marathon
Turning risk into reward: Top business risks in 2026 Turning risk into reward: Top business risks in 2026
Top tips to protect Ireland's plant health Top tips to protect Ireland's plant health
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more