Third time lucky for Douglas Hall in Munster final

Third time lucky for Douglas Hall in Munster final
Douglas Hall, celebrate after the win against, Dungarvan FC. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

Douglas Hall 2 Dungarvan United 1

DOUGLAS Hall lifted the Munster Youths Cup for the first time in the club's history as they defeated Dungarvan United 2-1 at Turner's Cross on Sunday evening.

First-half goals from the man of the match Matthew Long and Liam Ross was enough to see Hall claim the honours at the expense of a United side, who responded in vein through Dylan Swales.

This was the third time that the Moneygourney club featured in the final of this competition but the previous two attempts in 2001 and 2002 ended in disappointment.

They created the first opportunity here after just three minutes but Liam Ross’ powerful strike from distance was gathered at the second attempt by Toby Taylor.

Dungarvan created their first chance after 17 minutes but Dominick Melia could only scuff Tommy Hyslop’s cross to the back post straight at Hall’s Darragh Newman.

And the match swung in Douglas’ favour just one minute later as United captain Danny Reynolds was shown a straight red card by the referee following his late challenge on Brian Holland.

The talented James Falvey began to make the most of the extra space he was now afforded in the centre of the park as he twice went close to scoring midway through the first half.

The playmaker burst clear on goal but poked his effort wide of the far bottom right corner shortly before he fired wide of the bottom left corner when the ball broke to him in the box.

But Douglas finally edged in front after 27 minutes following a brilliant attacking move.

Falvey’s defence-splitting pass allowed winger Adam Hennessy to roll a dangerous cross from the left across the face of goal where Matthew Long was on hand to tap in from a couple of yards.

And Hall doubled their lead with just nine minutes remaining in the opening period as Liam Ross powerfully side-footed Falvey’s cross past the keeper at his near post.

The second half started with a slower tempo to the first but just when Douglas thought they had all but written their name on the silverware, they gifted Dungarvan a lifeline as Liam Ross was dismissed for a second yellow card.

United made their first change just shy of the hour mark as they looked to try and get back in the contest and it almost paid immediate rewards as the introduced Artur Trzeciak broke clear on goal but his shot clipped the top of the crossbar.

Dungarvan finally reduced the deficit with a quarter of an hour remaining as Dylan Swales cleverly lifted the ball over the keeper when through on goal.

But their task became more difficult as they were reduced to nine men late on when goalkeeper Toby Taylor was also given his marching orders for an off the ball incident.

Despite a late push from their opponents, Hall did enough to hang on to the victory which sees them join an elite group of clubs to have won all three of the Munster Football Association’s Cup competitions.

Picture: Jim Coughlan.
Picture: Jim Coughlan.

DOUGLAS HALL: Darragh Newman, Robert O’Mahony, Jamie Geasley, Ben Healy, Dean McCarthy, Brian Holland, Oisin Carroll, James Falvey, Matthew Long, Liam Ross, Adam Hennessy.

Subs: Brian Murphy for Oisin Carroll (76), Robert Cregan for Matthew Long (78), Sam Gallagher for Robert O’Mahony (83), Aaron Twohig for James Falvey (86).

DUNGARVAN UNITED: Toby Taylor, Gary Crotty, Shane Crotty, Anthony Lonergan, Reece Stringer, Joe Duggan, Cameron Maguire, Danny Reynolds, Dylan Swales, Dominick Melia, Tommy Hyslop.

Subs: Artur Trzeciak for Cameron Maguire (58), Dion Keohan for Shane Crotty (70), Kian Cliffe for Gary Cotter (88).

Referee: Nigel Casey.

More in this section

Sponsored Content