Butler serves up two goals as Charleville's footballers add another county crown

Butler serves up two goals as Charleville's footballers add another county crown
Charleville's Darren Butler celebrates scoring his second goal with team mate Jack Callaghan. Picture: Gavin Browne

Charleville 3-11

Duarigle Gaels 1-3

CHARLEVILLE were crowned county U21 B football champions, following a comfortable victory over Duarigle Gaels in the decider at Páirc Uí Rinn yesterday afternoon.

It’s a first title for the thriving North Cork club at this grade. Charleville played a defensive game, and it worked a treat, as they had the pace and guile up front to hurt their opposition. Darren Butler caught the eye for the winners, scoring 2-2, while having a hand in other scores.

Duarigle Gaels, an underage amalgamation of Millstreet and Cullen, kicked the first point after three minutes, through captain James Linehan, it would be their only score in the first half. It took the winners 11 minutes to register their first score, Darren Butler with a point, but it could have easily been a goal.

Charleville captain Cathal Carroll split the posts, and after 19 minutes, they scored a goal. The ball fell nicely for Butler, and he made no mistake to finish the ball into the net, 1-2 to 0-1.

Duarigle Gaels were creating scoring chances, but wayward shooting and that final ball were lacking. Finbarr Cagney pointed for the North-Cork side, and a minute before the break, the winners raised a second green flag. Good work from Jack Callaghan set up Butler, and the latter slotted the ball into the net from close range.

It was one-way traffic, James Kennedy raised a white flag, as Charleville led 2-5 to 0-1 at half-time.

On the resumption, Butler pointed for the winning side, and they could have added a third goal just after that, Tim Hawe’s well-struck effort went narrowly wide. Duarigle Gaels scored for the first time in 32 minutes, as Cathal Crowley converted a free five minutes into the new half.

Whatever slim chance Duarigle Gaels had of making a comeback was diminished, Aaron O’Connor scoring Charleville’s third goal from an acute angle. Jack Doyle pointed from a free before the third-quarter, as the North-Cork side pushed 3-7 to 0-2 clear.

The sides traded points until Doyle and Darragh Fitzgibbon raised white flags. The game was approaching injury-time, and Duarigle Gaels vocal support at least had something to cheer about, Cathal Crowley’s effort was deflected into the net.

The victorious side had the final say, sub Evan O’Connor bisected the posts two minutes into injury-time.

The winning team. Picture: Gavin Browne
The winning team. Picture: Gavin Browne

Scorers for Charleville: D Butler 2-2, A O’Connor 1-0, J Doyle 0-3 (0-2 f), C Buckley 0-1, C Carroll 0-1, D Fitzgibbon 0-1, F Cagney 0-1, J Kennedy 0-1, E O’Connor 0-1.

Duarigle Gaels: C Crowley 1-1 (0-1 f), J Linehan 0-1, Colm O’Leary 0-1.

CHARLEVILLE: J Smith; K Cagney, J Meade, A Barrett; J Kennedy, F Cagney, J Doyle; T Hawe, D Fitzgibbon; C Carroll (c), C Buckley, J Callaghan; S Buckley, D Butler, A O’Connor.

Subs: J Madigan for J Callaghan (49), C Collins for K Cagney (54), E O’Connor for A O’Connor (54).

DUARIGLE GAELS: D O’Leary; T Healy, C Hickey, F Cronin; Colm O’Leary, S Hickey, D Kiely; P Dineen, C Walsh; T Walsh, M Twomey, P Moynihan; J Linehan (c), C Crowley, N Flahive.

Subs: S Fleming for M Twomey (37), Colin O’Leary for P Moynihan (37), C O’Connor for T Walsh (48).

Referee: Andrew Larkin (Shamrocks).

More in this section

Sponsored Content