Super victory for Ballincollig U17s at Turner's Cross

Super victory for Ballincollig U17s at Turner's Cross
Ballincollig celebrate after defeating Midleton. Picture: Gavin Browne

Ballincollig 2 Midleton 0

BALLINCOLLIG lifted the Daly Industrial Supplies U17 Super Cup as they deservedly defeated Midleton 2-0 in the final at Turner’s Cross.

Goals in each half from Callum O’Leary and the man of the match Ange Munene was enough to see Ballincollig secure the silverware at the expense of a spirited Midleton side.

Callum O'Leary celebrates. Picture: Gavin Browne
Callum O'Leary celebrates. Picture: Gavin Browne

Ballincollig currently lie one point behind their opponents in the Daly Industrial Supplies U17 league one with both sides having just one fixture remaining.

The two teams cancelled each other out during a tense and competitive opening quarter of an hour to the game but Ballincollig soon took control of possession and looked the most threatening.

The first real chance of the game fell to the Green and White’s but striker Shay Dineen could only head Luke O’Sullivan’s excellent cross over the bar from a few yards out.

They went close again in the 17th minute as Nathan Forde whipped in a sensational corner kick but after rising highest midfielder Callum Sheehan turned his deft header narrowly wide of the far right post.

Callum Sheehan and David Pidoyma. Picture: Gavin Browne
Callum Sheehan and David Pidoyma. Picture: Gavin Browne

The momentum was now fully with Ballincollig but they struggled to make their dominance count on the scoreboard as Luke O’Sullivan missed a good chance moments later.

Ange Munene’s superb ball over the top of the defence released O’Sullivan but the striker rolled his effort narrowly wide of the far bottom right corner.

Midleton continued to struggle to deal with crosses into their penalty area as Ballincollig almost opened the scoring from another set-piece midway through the first half.

Nathan Forde sent in another dangerous corner and he picked out the run of Ange Munene but the playmaker powered his header just over the crossbar from close range.

The Magpies almost punished their rivals for missing those numerous good goal scoring opportunities.

The quick Daniel Ojulope looked to counter-attack and as he broke into the box he attempted to set up his strike partner Sam Murphy for an easy tap in but left-back Jamie Slavin did well to cut out the danger and allow his goalkeeper to gather.

But Ballincollig quickly regrouped following that near miss and they finally broke the deadlock with 36 minutes on the clock thanks to Callum O’Leary.

Nathan Forde provided the assist as his pinpoint corner picked out Callum O’Leary in front of goal and he couldn’t miss with his header from a couple of yards.

With the first half of play drawing to a close, Midleton almost snatched a stunning equaliser through William O’Sullivan.

The ball broke kindly to the midfielder on the edge of the box but his well-struck half volley dropped narrowly wide of the bottom right corner and ensured Ballincollig led by the minimum at the half time break.

The Knockgriffin Park club decided to make a couple of alterations to their side during the interval and they started the second period on the front foot.

They went close with a set piece of their own shortly after the restart but midfielder Cian Keohane sent his header from Sean Costigan’s corner wide of the back stick.

Winger Daniel Ojulope had a decent chance to level the terms for his side a few minutes later but after he raced onto a ball over the top of the defence, he blasted his lob well over the target with keeper Cian Hypolite rushing from his line.

They forced another good opening just shy of the hour mark as Sam Murphy teed up Cian Keohane but the attacker slid his strike wide of the near post from a tight angle.

Midleton, to their credit, continued to battle as they went in search of a goal that would force extra time.

But shortly after substitute David Connolly fired an attempt over under pressure, Ballincollig sealed the win when Ange Munene headed Nathan Forde’s corner into the back of the shed end net.

Ange Munene is presented with Man of the Match by Richard Browne. Picture: Gavin Browne
Ange Munene is presented with Man of the Match by Richard Browne. Picture: Gavin Browne

BALLINCOLLIG: Cian Hypolite, Shane Desmond, Jamie Slavin, Stephen Lenihan, Adam Summers, Callum Sheehan, Callum O’Leary, Ange Munene, Shay Dineen, Luke O’Sullivan, Nathan Forde.

Subs: Tyrone Johnson for Callum Sheehan (73), David Hume for Shane Desmond (82), David Delaney for Luke O’Sullivan (87).

MIDLETON: Adam Carry, Shane Connaughton, Sean Costigan, Trevor Shine, Jack Fitzgerald, Cian Keohane, David Pidoyma, Willian O’Sullivan, Sam Murphy, David DeBuf, Daniel Ojulope.

Subs: David Connolly for Shane Connaughton (h-t), Ibrahim Amine for David DeBuf (h-t), Rory Lang for Sam Murphy (82), Hamead Onilogro for Daniel Ojulope (88), Tyrese Emerhu for William O’Sullivan (88).

Referee: Ryan Hayes.

More in this section

Sponsored Content