Kilworth knock out Carrigaline after a cracking hurling quarter-final

Kilworth knock out Carrigaline after a cracking hurling quarter-final
Carrigaline full-back David Griffin breaks his hurley as he battles with Kilworth's Noel McNamara. Picture: David Keane.

Kilworth 1-25 Carrigaline 4-12

KILWORTH are through to the semi-finals of the PIHC after they defeated Carrigaline by four points in an extraordinary game at Watergrasshill on Saturday evening.

A clinical display from Kilworth’s full-forward line was enough to see them progress to the final four of the competition at the expense of a spirted Carrigaline side who set up a tense finale with two late Rob O’Shea goals.

The two sides exchanged points inside the opening four minutes but Carrigaline soon held the lead as they grabbed the opening goal of the game.

Full-forward Peter Ronayne blasted a powerful strike towards goal and although goalkeeper Kieran Walsh got his Hurley to it, he couldn’t stop it from crossing the line.

Their opponents hit back with a Noel McNamara free but overs from Rob O’Shea and a converted dead ball from Brian Kelleher saw Carrigaline lead 1-3 to 0-2 at the end of the first quarter.

But Kilworth soon grabbed control of proceedings and inspired by Brian Tobin in midfield and Noel McNamara, they scored five unanswered points to edge in front by the 21st minute.

Kilworth attacker Liam Whelan gets away from Carrigaline defender Chris Vaughan. Picture: David Keane.
Kilworth attacker Liam Whelan gets away from Carrigaline defender Chris Vaughan. Picture: David Keane.

The teams raised two white flags each as the first half drew to a close but a brilliant goal from Jamie Sheehan followed by a superb Eoin Carey point ensured Kilworth were ahead by five points at the half time break, 1-10 to 1-5.

McNamara remained accurate and he grabbed the first score of the second half before Carrigaline rallied and responded with points from Brian Kelleher (2) and substitute Eanna Desmond to reduce the arrears.

The leaders notched three of the next four points but Carrigaline were given a lifeline when Killian McIntyre drilled a stunning strike into the far top right corner to leave the scoreboard reading 1-14 to 2-9.

But Kilworth again showed their character as they split the uprights on five occasions without reply with Jamie Sheehan laying claim to two great efforts.

Carrigaline, to their credit, battled until the final whistle and they somehow reduced the deficit to just three points in the closing stages thanks to a brace of fierce strikes from Rob O’Shea.

But it was too little too late as McNamara scored the final point of the match to send Kilworth through.

Scorers for Kilworth: N McNamara 0-10 (0-7 f, 0-1 65), J Sheehan 1-3, W Condon 0-4, L Whelan and E Carey 0-3 each, B Tobin 0-2.

Carrigaline: R O’Shea 2-2 (1-1 f), B Kelleher 0-7 (0-2 f), P Ronayne and K McIntyre 1-0 each, W O’Brien, D Drake and E Desmond 0-1 each.

KILWORTH: K Walsh; M McNamara, K Lane, M O’Connor; N Byrne, D Twomey, A O’Hara; B Tobin, E McGrath; T Twomey, L Whelan, E Carey; J Sheehan, N McNamara, W Condon.

Subs: S Keane for T Twomey (26), P Moakley for J Sheehan (57), N O’Brien for W Condon (58), M O’Callaghan for B Tobin (62).

CARRIGALINE: R Foster; L Condon, D Griffin, C Vaughan; K O’Connell, S Williamson, K Kavanagh; W O’Brien, J McCarthy; K Dwane, R O’Shea, D Drake; B Kelleher, P Ronayne, K McIntyre.

Subs: K Kavanagh for D Griffin (31), E Desmond for K Dwane (ht), C Barry for J McCarthy (ht), K O’Reilly for P Ronayne (53), D McBarron for E Desmond (62).

Referee: Cathal McAllister (Aghada).

More in this section

Sponsored Content