Young guns fire Cork City past Midleton and into the Munser Senior Cup final

Young guns fire Cork City past Midleton and into the Munser Senior Cup final
Issa Kargbo after scoring Cork City's winning goal against Midleton in the Munster Senior Cup semi-final at Bishopstown. Picture: Denis Minihane.

Cork City 3 Midleton 2 

CORK City returned to competitive football with a narrow win over Midleton in the Musnter Senior Cup semi-final on Saturday in Bishopstown.

Goals from Cian Bargary, Benenion O’Brien Whitmarsh and Issa Kargbo game them a hard worked victory and they now await the winners of tomorrow s game between Rockmount and Carrigaline.

A great start by the home side saw them two up after nine minutes. Goals from Cian Bargary and Beineon O’Brien Whitmarsh settled this very young City side. Although they enjoyed the majority of possession in the first half, Midleton did create a few chances of their own. 

Lioc Nguefang found himself one on one with City’s keeper Dave Harrington, but the latter did well to deny the shot. James Leahy was another who created two great opportunities for Midleton looking to get on the scoresheet. 

His first denied by Harrington and the other when he got on the end of a great ball played in by captain James McCarthy however Harrington was quick off his line once again and gathered comfortably once again.

Cork City looked very comfortable in possession and passed the ball really well all over the park.

Ricardo Dinanga and Daire O’Connor both had good chances in front of goal, with both denied by the post.

At the other end Leahy and Jake Hegarty linked well together with the latter unlucky with his strike on goal saved by Harrington just after the half hour mark.

City got on top again just before the break and an excellent double save by Andrew O’Donoghue denied Bargary and John Honohan from widening City’s lead giving them a two nil lead at the break.

The second half began at a blistering pace with Midleton piling on the pressure from the whistle. The impressive Leahy was a constant threat going forward while the introduction of Ray Lally brought some composure in the middle of the park. 

With nine minutes played in this half, a foul on Leahy inside the box by keeper Dave Harrington awarded the visitors a penalty that Jake Hegarty converted.

Just after the hour mark, Hegarty got his second and Midleton’s equaliser when he showed great composure and skill to slot home from close range after rounding Harrington and Bennett.

Just when City looked under pressure, a quick break up the field by Ronan Hurley resulted in the home side taking the lead once again. Substitute Issa Kargbo showed great pace to get into the perfect position as he got on the end of a superb cross from Hurley to slot home to an open goal to make it 3-2.

City created one great chance towards the end with a superb through ball from Sean McGrath to Dinanga. Dinanga showed great composure to out run his opponent but his shot was saved by O’Donoghue. With the clock running down Midleton continued to pile on the pressure and a late free kick in injury time worried the City players. 

Emmett Cotter put a perfect ball across the six yard box which looked like it only needed a slight touch however there were no Midleton players forcing themselves in the danger area and Harrington comfortably before referee Dave Keeler blew the final whistle.

A relief for Fenn and his team, who to be fair played some nice football at times, with Corey Galvin impressing hugely in the second half.

Having gone two up after just nine minutes, one would have imagined it would have been a lot easier game for City however credit to Midleton who fought hard and could easily have snatched the equaliser in the end.

It was a very young City side with Alan Bennett being the most senior player by a long shot however the young lads worked hard, passed the ball well and a few impressed such as Dinanga, Galvin and Sean McGrath, although didn’t seen much of, looks very lively.

Rockmount Manager Billy Cronin has an experienced and physical side, who could stand a chance if they manage to overcome Carrigaline in Tuesday’s other semi.

CORK CITY: D Harrington, A Bennett, B O’Brien Whitmarsh, D O’Connor, R Hurley, O Crowe, J O’Brien, E McCarthy, R Dinanga, C Bargary.

Subs: C Galvin for B O’Brien Whitmarsh (50), I Kargbo for J Honohan (60), S McGrath for D O’Connor (70).

MIDLETON: A O’Donoghue, S O’Riordan, E Cotter, J Keane, M Lambe, J Collins, J McCarthy, T Aibior, J Hegarty, J Leahy, L Nguefang.

Subs: R Lally for M Lambe (45), B O’Donoghue for J Leahy (84).

Referee: D Keeler; C Braganza, T Cotter.

More in this section

Sponsored Content