Watergrasshill hurlers are through in PIHC after big win over Ballinhassig

Watergrasshill hurlers are through in PIHC after big win over Ballinhassig

Watergrasshill had a great win over Ballinhassig on Saturday afternoon. Helped by the consistency of free-taker Shane O'Regan. Picture: Des Barry.

Watergrasshill 2-17 Ballinhassig 1-13 

WATERGRASSHILL followed up their impressive victory over Ballincollig with an excellent display against Ballinhassig in an entertaining contest in the Co-Op Superstores Cork PIHC on Saturday afternoon in Inniscarra.

It seemed as though Watergrasshill would cruise to victory after holding a commanding lead at the break. Although Ballinhassig produced a spirited display and gave their opposition an almighty fright, in the end, the Hill were worthy winners.

Watergrasshill began this one in determined fashion. Shane O’Regan showcased some red hot accuracy with some well taken early scores, with Shane Óg O'Regan also slotting between the posts.

Although Ballinhassig got off the mark through a point from Charlie Grainger, Watergrasshill reacted to that by finding the back of the net.

After a Shane Óg O'Regan well-struck effort was saved impressively, Sean Desmond was on hand to finish from a close range.

Watergrasshill certainly meant business in the opening half an hour of action, with Desmond, Shane O’Regan and Dan Dennehy keeping them well in control.

Ballinhassig were awarded a penalty and a possible route back into the game after 25 minutes, which Ger Collins blasted astutely to the net.

But Shane Óg O'Regan was to finish well from close range for a second Watergrasshill goal of the afternoon, as they held a commanding lead, 2-11 to Ballinhassig’s 1-3, at the half time break.

But Ballinhassig clearly had no intention of giving this up. They got some early second-half scores, adding wind to their sails.

And when Michael Collins slotted over a fine score from out wide, there was sensationally only just three points between the teams at 2-11 to 1-11.

But Watergrasshill showed a second wave right when it was needed. Further scores by O’Regan combined between frees and efforts from play, along with a late Desmond point, ensured that they were to successfully secure the win.

The final series of group stage games is set to see Ballinhassig play Ballincollig, while Watergrasshill will go up against Valley Rovers, who are already eliminated.

Scorers for Watergrasshill: S O'Regan 0-10 (0-9 f), S Desmond 1-4, S Óg O'Regan 1-2, D Dennehy 0-1.

Ballinhassig: G Collins 1-1, F O’Leary 0-6 (0-4 f), M Collins, P Collins 0-2 each, E Cullinane, D O’Donovan 0-1 each.

WATERGRASSHILL: D O’Callaghan; P Cronin, A Ricken, S Field; D Dennehy, G O’ Kelly Lynch, B Fenton; A Cronin, P O’Regan; P O’Leary, K O’Neill, D O’Leary; S O'Regan, S Óg O'Regan, S Desmond.

Subs: C Cronin for A Cronin (22), D O’Farrell for O’Leary (33).

BALLINHASSIG: P Collins; J Riordan, C Reynolds, M Desmond; C Desmond, D O’Donovan, E Lombard; S McCarthy, S O’Neill; C Reynolds, M Collins, R Lombard; C Grainger, F O’Leary, G Collins.

Subs: P O’Leary for E Lombard (28), J O’Callaghan for Desmond (34), C Tyers for Grainger (h-t), E Cullinane for Lombard (47).

Referee: Cormac Dineen (Douglas).

More in this section

Sponsored Content