Corbett shines by Clyda fail to advance in the SAFC after this draw with Dohneys

Corbett shines by Clyda fail to advance in the SAFC after this draw with Dohneys

Clyda Rovers Conor Corbett was a star for his side but they failed to beat Dohneys.

Clyda Rovers 0-11 

Dohenys 1-8 

CLYDA ROVERS failed to reach the knockout stages as they failed to beat the Dohenys in this round 3 SAFC tie played in Inniscarra on Sunday.

Both sides had late chances to win in a tense finale. Clyda Rovers requiring a win to reach the next round were awarded a free deep into injury time. Cork underage star Conor Corbett stepped up, but he failed to convert which ensured the sides finished level. 

This coupled with Fermoy’s win against Bandon ensured Clyda exit this year’s championship. Dohenys also bow out as they required a significant win.

Dohenys registered their opening score after ten seconds through the impressive Mark Buckley. Clyda immediately levelled through Corbett. Clyda moved ahead for the first time in the sixth minute following another Corbett free. Dohenys quickly levelled through Mark Buckley.

The Dohenys produced a very strong showing in the second quarter. They surged into a six point lead after 28 minutes as they struck 1-3 without reply. Mark Buckley netted in the 19th minute following great approach play from Eoin Lavers and Cathal Daly. 

Dohenys quickly added three points with a brace from Buckley, followed by a great individual score from Fionn Herlihy.

Clyda, very subdued in the first half finished strongly with Corbett and Paul Cronin notching scores to reduce the deficit to four points at the interval, 1-5 to 0-4.

Clyda were far more cohesive in the second half. The introduction of Seamus Ronayne added a fresh impetus, while Paudie Kissane thundered into proceedings. 

Clyda levelled proceedings by the 45th minute following a flurry of scores from Corbett, Ronayane (2) and Walsh to set up a dramatic finale.

Dohenys restored their one point lead through Cullen Barry in the 52nd minute. This was quickly negated by a Corbett free. Both sides pressed hard for a late winner. They both spurned late chances however with Corbett’s last gasp free just going wide.

Scorers for Clyda Rovers: C Corbett 0-6, (0-4 f), S Ronayne 0-2, E Walsh 0-1, P Cronin 0-1 45, C Flanagan 0-1 f.

Scorers for Dohenys: M Buckley 1-4, (0-3 f), F Herlihy 0-2, C Barry 0-2, (0-1 f).

Clyda Rovers: E Sheehan; A Walsh, S Kelly, C Kenny; P Kissane, F O’Shea, C O’Sullivan; T Buckley, C Flanagan; D Buckley, C Corbett, D Walsh; P Cronin, E Walsh, R Flanagan.

Subs: S Ronayane for D Buckley (20), K Fitzgerald for T Buckley (24), C Kelly for F O’Shea (30), F O’Shea for P Cronin (43), C O’Sullivan for R Flanagan (55).

Dohenys: S Daly; J Farrell, S Daly, D Rice; B O’Donovan, J McCarthy, C Daly; C Barry, E Lavers; N Hurley, F Herlihy, B Murphy; K White, J Kelly, M Buckley.

Subs: B McCarthy for N Hurley (45).

Referee: Robert Whelan (Aghada).

More in this section

Sponsored Content



Add to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more