portal_normal EE STRUCTURE orgcat: /PUBLICATIONS/EE-ECHO/SPORT

portal_normal PUBLICATION STRUCTURE cat: /publications/ee-echo/sport

portal_normal CATEGORY STRUCTURE category: /PUBLICATIONS/EE-ECHO/SPORT

portal_normal STRUCTURE section: corksport

portal_normal getURLCurrent: /web/eveningecho/corksport/detailedstory?p_p_id=DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite&p_p_lifecycle=0&_DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite_arg_detailstory_uuid=c67bd6fc-d65d-435f-a49a-d5ad1ac13bb4

portal_normal getPortalURL getURLCurrent: http://www.echolive.ie./web/eveningecho/corksport/detailedstory?p_p_id=DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite&p_p_lifecycle=0&_DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite_arg_detailstory_uuid=c67bd6fc-d65d-435f-a49a-d5ad1ac13bb4

portal_normal getPortalURL: http://www.echolive.ie

portal_normal domain: http://www.echolive.ie

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - url: /corksport/Cork-hurling-coach-Pat-Ryan-rules-out-taking-over-from-Kingston-c67bd6fc-d65d-435f-a49a-d5ad1ac13bb4-ds

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - section: corksport

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - orgcat: orgcat = /PUBLICATIONS/EE-ECHO/SPORT

Pat Ryan. Picture: Diarmuid Greene/SPORTSFILE
Pat Ryan. Picture: Diarmuid Greene/SPORTSFILE
SOCIAL BOOKMARKS

Cork hurling coach Pat Ryan rules out taking over from Kingston

PAT RYAN has ruled himself out of contention to succeed Kieran Kingston as the next Cork senior hurling boss.

Ryan was the coach to the team this year and played a major role in the county’s emergence as Munster championship winners and was strongly linked to being Kingston’s successor.

However, the Sarsfields clubman told the Echo on Wednesday that he was ruling himself out of the equation for various reasons. 

Former selector Pat Harnett already stepped away last week before Kingston announced he wouldn't be staying on as boss beyond his two-year stint, while Diarmuid O'Sullivan posted on social media that he wouldn't be a candidate. With Ryan also out that leaves John Meyler, who was a selector this year in tandem with being U21 bainisteoir and is the bookies favourite, as the leading contender for the job.

“I will not be allowing my name to go forward for consideration," said Ryan. "There are a number of reasons for that, mainly the age profile of my children and work commitments.

“I have three children aged 10, seven and four and they, obviously, take up a lot of your time. I do quite a lot of shift work too which makes it difficult and, to be quite honest, the workload now of an inter-county manager is immense.

“I could see the amount of work that Kieran was putting in, it’s nearly a full-time post now and you saw the situation in Waterford when Derek McGrath took a year out from work to concentrate on managing the team.’’ 

Ryan did not rule out the possibility of getting involved again at a future time.

“It’s something I would love to do maybe sometime in the future but not right now for the reasons I have outlined.

“It was a privilege to be involved with Kieran and the rest of the lads and working with the players as coach was a very enjoyable experience. Winning the Munster championship has definitely put Cork hurling back on the map and I believe that the future is very bright now for the county."

With Ryan now ruling himself out, it means that the bulk of this season’s management team will definitely not be involved in the new set-up.