Plan to improve Cork city to be brought to Government, confirms Taoiseach
Taoiseach Micheál Martin: 'This will look at Cork’s existing action plan, look at how we can progress development in Cork city, at any barriers, how to remove them and identify key enablers to deliver the objectives of the City Development Plan.' File picture
A new plan to assess and improve Cork city is to be brought to Government.
Taoiseach Micheál Martin confirmed the move as long-running issues around what to name the plan have finally been resolved.
Speaking at the launch of a new Apple office in Hollyhill on Thursday, Mr Martin said: “I am very pleased to be bringing, shortly, to Government a new Cork city futures group plan.
“This will look at Cork’s existing action plan, look at how we can progress development in Cork city, at any barriers, how to remove them and identify key enablers to deliver the objectives of the City Development Plan.
“Also, essentially, to chart the city of the future, to landscape and have a blueprint for it,” he added.
A taskforce for Cork city, modelled on the Dublin city taskforce brought in while Simon Harris was taoiseach, was promised in the programme for government.
Its implementation has long been called for by Cork Fine Gael TDs, who have highlighted that it was intended to be in place in the first 100 days of Government.
Questioned on the timeframe last year, Mr Martin said that part of the delay was because “people in Cork do not like the word 'taskforce', we are a bit fussy in that regard”.
A spokesperson for Cork City Council told that the name has “connotations of negativity”.
At the end of last month, Mr Martin insisted that the taskforce would be up and running by mid-February.
App?

