‘No one taking responsibility for traffic cameras in Cork’, says TD

Seán Canney, minister of state at the Department of Transport, told Pádraig Rice, in response to a parliamentary question: “Traffic management in Cork city is a matter for Cork City Council, in the first instance.
‘No one taking responsibility for traffic cameras in Cork’, says TD

Cork TD Padraig Rice said:  “The only action taken by the Government on this has been publishing a Road Safety Strategy to 2030. Glossy documents will not make our roads safer. We need action now.”

The installation of traffic cameras is being “passed around various agencies”, with nobody taking responsibility or being held accountable, a Cork TD has said.

Seán Canney, minister of state at the Department of Transport, told Pádraig Rice, in response to a parliamentary question: “Traffic management in Cork city is a matter for Cork City Council, in the first instance.

“Although I am aware of calls for red-light cameras by elected representatives from Cork earlier this year, neither I, nor my officials have been involved in any discussions or decision-making processes in this area.

“I understand that the National Transport Authority and Dublin City Council are currently working together on the introduction of a small number of red-light camera locations.”

The Programme for Government commits to further expansion of cameras to encourage safer driving, as does the Government’s Road Safety Strategy to 2030, published in July, Mr Canney said.

Additionally, a national safety camera strategy is at an advanced stage and it is expected to be completed shortly, he said, adding that a new static speed camera on the N22 Cork commenced operation on May 2. Mr Rice told The Echo: “The past month has been devastating. Lives have been lost and families shattered by road tragedies in Cork. My thoughts are with all those affected.

“We owe it to every road user to slow down, stay alert, and treat road safety as a shared responsibility. We also need strong political will and co-ordinated action to back this up.

“The only action taken by the Government on this has been publishing a Road Safety Strategy to 2030. Glossy documents will not make our roads safer. We need action now.”

The lack of engagement with Cork City Council by the department is despite repeated calls from local representatives, he said, adding that though the minister said that traffic management in Cork city is a matter for Cork City Council, when Mr Rice got in touch with the council, they told him that enforcement of road offences was a matter for An Garda Síochána and that the local authority had no powers of enforcement in this area.

Mr Rice said: “The lack of accountability for these matters is not only frustrating, but also dangerous. Without a clear lead agency, vital safety measures fall through the cracks. It is clear that this problem has been passed around various agencies and authorities.”

More in this section

DENIS SCANNELL Fans of Cork singer Jimmy Crowley raise over €90k in three days
Numbers of Cork-based children waiting for assessments jumps 20% in three months Numbers of Cork-based children waiting for assessments jumps 20% in three months
Over 200 runners to take on Cork City Marathon in memory of Ellen Over 200 runners to take on Cork City Marathon in memory of Ellen

Sponsored Content

City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours
Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week
55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out 55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more