Pensioner without mobile, tv or internet since October due to signal difficulties, Cork County Council meeting hears

As the meeting went on, it became clear that mobile customers in every part of the county were experiencing difficulties with their broadband coverage.
Pensioner without mobile, tv or internet since October due to signal difficulties, Cork County Council meeting hears

An 81-year-old woman living in a rural part of the Cobh Municipal District has been living without a mobile phone, internet, or TV since October of last year due to difficulties with the availability of a mobile signal being experienced throughout the county, yesterday’s meeting of Cork County Council was told. Picture Denis Minihane.

An 81-year-old woman living in a rural part of the Cobh Municipal District has been living without a mobile phone, internet, or TV since October of last year due to difficulties with the availability of a mobile signal being experienced throughout the county, yesterday’s meeting of Cork County Council was told.

Fine Gael councillor Sinéad Sheppard was speaking on a motion brought by West Cork-based Independent councillor Finnbar Harrington, who asked that management representatives of mobile broadband companies would meet the council to discuss issues with coverage in his region. As the meeting went on however, it became clear that mobile customers in every part of the county were experiencing difficulties with their broadband coverage.

Ms Sheppard told the meeting that two of the seven people who had attended her clinic on Saturday had raised issues with mobile coverage. A second lady, 83 years of age and living in Cobh town centre, had said that she had been without phone, internet, and TV since early December due to poor signal.

“This is an ongoing issue which has got progressively worse in the past six months,” said Mr Harrington.

Fianna Fáil councillor in West Cork, Patrick Gerard Murphy, called on different service providers to share access to their masts, while Independent Ireland councillor Danny Collins said that the issue needed to be tackled.

More in this section

Garda stock Gardaí undertake operation targeting  organised crime in East Cork town 
Planning decisions see 900 new homes for Cork city Planning decisions see 900 new homes for Cork city
Empty colorful swings at the park Cost of keeping playgrounds safe from vandals is €1m, says Cork council

Sponsored Content

 EirGrid, ensuring nature thrives in journey to cleaner energy future EirGrid, ensuring nature thrives in journey to cleaner energy future
The future is flexible for cleaner energy use in business The future is flexible for cleaner energy use in business
City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more