Cork County Council passes vote of condolence for Ian Bailey

It is the normal procedure at Cork Council meetings for councillors to suggest names to be added to a vote of condolence which is routinely not actually voted upon.
Cork County Council passes vote of condolence for Ian Bailey

Former journalist Ian Bailey, who is wanted by French authorities investigating the murder of film producer Sophie Toscan du Plantier in west Cork, leaving the High Court in Dublin following an extradition hearing.

The chief suspect in the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier, Ian Bailey, has been included alongside others who passed away recently in a vote of condolences passed at today’s meeting of Cork County Council.

The name of Ian Bailey, who died on Sunday after he collapsed on Barrack Street in Bantry after suffering a suspected cardiac arrest, was suggested by Independent councillor Marcia Dalton and her proposal was also supported by fellow Independent councillor Frank Roche.

Ms Dalton said that she thought it ‘appropriate’ that the Chamber would ‘remark on the passing of Ian Bailey’. 

“All I know about the tragic case of Sophie Toscan du Plantier is what was reported in various media but I do know it was a flagship tragedy of my youth and I also know that one of the fundamental principles of criminal law and constitutional guarantee is that every person accused of a criminal offence is innocent until proven guilty even if they’re charged,” she said.

“There was never enough evidence to prove Ian Bailey’s guilt in the murder of Sophie yet he lived 30 years of his life under that shadow of guilt.

“The State handed his files to the French authorities where he was convicted of the murder in his absence.

“The Irish authorities would not enable his extradition and they committed to another review of the 1996 tragedy – we obviously have no idea who’s responsible for the heinous murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier but should there be any chance that our State caused this man to live out 30 years of his life under the shadow of suspicion, then I think it appropriate that we recognise that this too was a terrible tragedy.” 

It is the normal procedure at Cork Council meetings for councillors to suggest names to be added to a vote of condolence which is routinely not actually voted upon. Customarily those who are named in a vote of condolences are former councillors, council workers, relatives of council workers and other notable people who have passed away since the last meeting. 

Among those included in the vote of condolence at today’s meeting was a former Government minister, Tom Hussey, who died at the weekend, and Kitty Jeffery of Glenville who was Ireland’s oldest woman when she passed away last week at the age of 109.

more #Ian Bailey articles

Ian Bailey death Jim Sheridan: 'I hope my film brings justice for Sophie...'
Ian Bailey death Ian Bailey's family holds memorial service as ashes scattered in West Cork
Ian Bailey death 'Not a vote of condolence': Cork county councillor comment on death of Ian Bailey clarified

More in this section

Case of North Cork woman (87) on charge of careless driving causing death is adjourned to June Case of North Cork woman (87) on charge of careless driving causing death is adjourned to June
Overnight water supply disruption warning for parts of Cork city’s northside Overnight water supply disruption warning for parts of Cork city’s northside
Drone delivery firm piloting Cork service refutes online claim it is moving operations to US Drone delivery firm piloting Cork service refutes online claim it is moving operations to US

Sponsored Content

City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours
Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week
55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out 55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more