CITY councillors are to be informed of the planned opening timeframe for the long-awaited Tramore Valley Park ‘this month.’
City Hall officials had previously confirmed plans to have the €40 million amenity up and running by ‘August or September’ but now looks set to miss this deadline as tenders ‘continue to be assessed.’
The prospect of further delays has been described as ‘really disappointing’ by Independent councillor Kieran McCarthy.
The multi-million park has been in the pipeline for some time.
The former dump, off the South Link road, was redeveloped as part of a €40 million project but has remained underused since, a situation which is largely the result of staff shortages.
While the BMX tracks and rugby pitches are used, many other elements of the park remain closed to the public.
A funding package was agreed as part of City Hall’s 2018 budget to finally get the park fully operational following growing pressure from local councillors and community groups.
At a meeting of Cork City Council in May, chief executive Ann Doherty told councillors that the plan was to have the amenity fully open in ‘August or September.’
A spokesperson for City Hall this week told the Evening Echo that work is ongoing.
“Tenders have been submitted and continue to be assessed,” they said.
“An update is to be made to councillors at a scheduled meeting this month. Councillors will be informed of a proposed timescale and opening date.”
Mr McCarthy hit out at the current situation.
“I am really disappointed that another deadline is after passing,” he said.
“Funding was put aside in the Council budget last November to get the remaining works finished this year. To have the park still closed in a city such as Cork is a real shame. I will be continuing my lobbying to get this amenity opened as soon as possible.”
It is understood that a question has been tabled ahead of Monday’s meeting of Cork City Council which may shed further light on the timeframe for the park’s opening.