The Douglas Farmers Market has been cancelled tomorrow due to issues relating to the fire in the Shopping Centre last weekend.
In a Facebook post, the organisers of the market said: “Unfortunately due to problems relating to the fire we have had to cancel the market tomorrow. We are all really sorry and hope to be back in the next week or so.
“We will keep you updated.”
Speaking to The Echo, market organiser Rupert Hugh-Jones said it was cancelled due to a number of reasons.
“We had logistical problems with lack of parking for our 30 traders vans. Also problems because of the lack of electricity. Finally then out of solidarity with all of the tenants in the centre, it was felt we should let everything calm down a bit before we restart - hopefully in the next two weeks.” The Douglas Farmers Market has been cancelled twice before in the 12 years it has been running, due to storms.
Mr Hugh-Jones said that they had been offered a number of other locations but did not have enough time to get organised for this weeks event.
The market is normally held every Saturday, outside the Douglas Village Shopping Centre, between 10am and 2pm.
Douglas Village Shopping Centre went up in flames on Saturday, August 31 after an Opel Zafira went up in flames on the first-floor car park seven minutes after entering the building.
It took 50 firefighters and five hours to bring the blaze under control, but by that time, severe damage had been caused and part of the structure will now have to be demolished and rebuilt before the centre can reopen.
190 cars were trapped in the building following the fire and around 61 cars were completely burnt out or damaged in the blaze.