North Main Street traders: Vital Christmas shopping season is damaged by eyesore buildings

North Main Street traders: Vital Christmas shopping season is damaged by eyesore buildings
The North Main Street site shortly after hoarding was erected in late July. Credit: Damian Coleman

TRADERS on North Main Street say the crucial Christmas shopping season has been damaged by the lack of progress on buildings that partially collapsed last June. 

The affected buildings are currently cordoned off and are being described by businesses in the area as an eyesore which are deterring customers. 

Michael Creedon, owner of Bradley’s Specialist Off-Licence & Foodstore, has highlighted the issue with city councillors in the hopes of resolving it as quickly as possible. 

Michael Creedon of Bradley's, North Main Street, Cork. Picture Dan Linehan
Michael Creedon of Bradley's, North Main Street, Cork. Picture Dan Linehan

“We were promised the site was going to be cleared and sorted weeks and weeks ago and now it's looking very unlikely that it will be done before Christmas. 

"There has been no activity on the site for a long time,” he told The Echo. 

With just under two weeks to go before Christmas, Michael said, “the whole street is affected by this”. 

“It’s a complete eye-sore, people have taken to throwing rubbish over the railings around the building. Compounding this, it’s a health and safety issue. 

"Pedestrians are trying to go around the obstruction, so they’re going onto the road which is very hazardous."

The partial collapse of the long-vacant buildings, located toward the Castle Street and Liberty Street end of North Main Street, took place back in June and traders have become frustrated at the lack of action since then. 

Patrick Leader, owner of Leaders Menswear, says footfall has been impacted by the barricaded pavement. 

“It’s very unattractive and what’s unfortunate to see is that our street is not as busy as it could and should be,” he said. 

Patrick Leader of Leaders on North Main street 
Patrick Leader of Leaders on North Main street 

“I have contacted local councillors as well as the city council directly on this matter. The delays are extremely frustrating,” he continued.

Fianna Fáil Councillor Sean Martin said the delays are frustrating: “I’m not happy with it at all. I have spoken to a number of the traders and I understand their concerns. City Hall needs to now invest all the power we have into resolving the issue as quickly as possible.”

The partial collapse of the building occurred on June 20 and the immediate aftermath was devastating to traders, with some reporting they were 50% down when compared to the same period last year. 

The road was temporarily closed for vehicle traffic but reopened soon after, with hoarding put around the buildings.

While the street is now open for vehicles and pedestrians, traders have said that the sectioned-off building is affecting their business.

It is understood the building in question has been unused for many years.

More in this section

Sponsored Content