A mother and daughter have lost everything after their home went up in flames following a freak accident where a deodorant bottle fell on a candle.
Ballyphehane native, Gemma Healy was at work on Tuesday when a deodorant bottle fell on a candle and exploded into her daughter Katie's face, resulting in burns on her face, arms and legs.
Gemma said: “The carpet went up in flames in seconds and the bedroom door.”
The mother said her daughter was on fire and ran out of the house.
“A neighbour put my daughter under the shower. Thankfully the burns will heal.”
While her daughter will be alright with time, Gemma said that her home is ruined.
“The whole house is destroyed and we have nothing left. We have to start from scratch again.”
A Gofundme page has been set up today to raise funds for the family in order to see them repair their home if possible.
Writing on the Gofundme page, Gemma said: “If anyone can help in any way we’d truly appreciate it.”
Gemma also lost her father to pneumonia three years ago and helps to care for her mother who suffered a Brain Aneurysm around the same time.
Within six hours of setting up the page, over €2,000 has been raised from over 70 donors.
To contribute, log onto Gofundme and search ‘starting again after house fire or follow this link: here