Coronavirus case confirmed on Apple campus in Cork

Coronavirus case confirmed on Apple campus in Cork
Picture Dan Linehan

A case of Coronavirus has been confirmed at the Apple plant in Hollyhill.

In an email seen by The Echo, it was confirmed to employees last night that an Apple worker was tested after feeling unwell last week and results have come back positive for Coronavirus. The employee left the office as soon as they felt unwell.

In a staff email company officials said they were working closely with the HSE who have reviewed the case and believe the risk to other employees is low.

A number of Apple staff members have been told to self-isolate to prevent the spread of the virus.

"Out of an abundance of caution, we wanted you to know that we've asked those employees who were in the immediate working environment with the individual to self-isolate and not come into the office for an initial 48-hour period," the email said. "We are also continuing our deep cleaning protocols of all office areas." 

The company email stated: “Teams across Apple are closely monitoring the situation in coordination with the HSE and any new developments will be acted on immediately. In the meantime, our offices remain open on a normal schedule.” 

Staff sources have said the Hollyhill plant has been split into sections as a precautionary measure, with each of the four buildings kept separate from each other.

The site gym is no longer being used and restrictions are in place to ensure staff safety if they need to access to the onsite doctor. Staff members have been told that they may use a gym or doctor off-campus and be reimbursed by the company.

The company encouraged staff members to regularly check their dedicated COVID-19 page on-site and additional support is said to be available to all employees.

“If you have any concerns, please talk to your manager and feel free to contact People Support or your People Business Partner with any questions, or if you need additional support.” 

There are now 24 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Ireland.

In a statement released by the Department of Health on Monday, Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer said; “While Ireland remains in a containment phase, we will eventually move to delay phase and then on to mitigation phase.

“Containment is about identifying and containing all cases no matter how mild. The delay phase will focus on minimising the spread of the virus. Ultimately, in the mitigation phase, we prioritise the cases that are most unwell.

“The decision to move to delay phase will be based on a number of factors, including the number of confirmed cases in Ireland, the speed at which they are occurring and the profile of transmission.

“Ultimately all of the decisions we take are focused on limiting the impact of this disease on our population and our health service.” Department of Health Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn said;

“We are particularly aware that older people may have additional concerns and worries about the spread of this disease. To ensure they have access to the information they need Alone has established an information helpline at 0818 222 024.

“This is a time for solidarity and community. We urge everyone to reach out to older family and friends, to ensure they have the appropriate advice and information.

“Protect your loved ones by not visiting if you feel unwell, with respiratory symptoms or fever.”

More in this section

Sponsored Content