CONSTRUCTION works on the pedestrian entrance to Tramore Valley Park from Half Moon Lane won’t be under way until the end of the first quarter of 2021 at the earliest.
In response to a question posed by Fianna Fáil councillor Sean Martin, who requested an update on the new entrance, Cork City Council director of operations David Joyce said public consultation is ongoing and Cork City Council is following up possible funding sources for the construction phase.
“In August, Cork City Council received a funding allocation of €40,000 from the NTA to complete the preliminary design, Part 8 planning and detailed design/tender document preparation for the upgrading of Halfmoon Lane to facilitate pedestrian and cyclist access to Tramore Valley Park.
“This funding is very welcome and will allow the city council to move this project forward significantly between now and the end of the year, further in fact than had been planned before this funding was made available.
“The Part 8 process has commenced on August 28 with the public consultation phase ongoing at present.
“The final date for public submissions is October 9, 2020.
“All submissions will be assessed and a report brought to Council,” he said.
“It is hoped that the Part 8 process will be successful which will allow the project to proceed to the detailed design and tender document preparation stages.
“The plan, assuming that there are no delays in the process and that the Part 8 process is successful, is to have the project designed and tender documents completed by Christmas.
“If funding is made available (we are continuing to follow up on possible funding sources for the construction phase) the construction tender process would be commenced and completed in [the first quarter of] 2021 with construction commencing before the end of Q1 2021,” said Mr Joyce.
The park, on the site of the remediated city landfill, was officially opened in May of last year but there has been constant criticism about its pedestrian and cycling access points.