portal_normal PUBLICATION STRUCTURE cat: /publications/bn-breakingnews/ireland/national


portal_normal STRUCTURE section: nationalnews

portal_normal getURLCurrent: /web/eveningecho/nationalnews/detailedstory?p_p_id=DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite&p_p_lifecycle=0&_DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite_arg_detailstory_uuid=c8c39ce8-00c7-48c0-8bef-aa25eb388ced

portal_normal getPortalURL getURLCurrent: http://www.echolive.ie./web/eveningecho/nationalnews/detailedstory?p_p_id=DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite&p_p_lifecycle=0&_DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite_arg_detailstory_uuid=c8c39ce8-00c7-48c0-8bef-aa25eb388ced

portal_normal getPortalURL: http://www.echolive.ie

portal_normal domain: http://www.echolive.ie

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - url: /nationalnews/Witness-tells-inquest-into-Irish-deaths-in-Tunisia-attack-of-hearing-whizz-of-bullets-c8c39ce8-00c7-48c0-8bef-aa25eb388ced-ds

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - section: nationalnews

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - orgcat: orgcat = /PUBLICATIONS/BN-BREAKINGNEWS/IRELAND/National


Witness tells inquest into Irish deaths in Tunisia attack of hearing 'whizz of bullets'

By Louise Roseingrave

Irish holiday-makers in Tunisia barricaded the door of their hotel room during a terrorist attack as a gunman prowled the corridors outside, an inquest heard.

Raymond Hegarty and his family ran from the pool area as a gunman approached from the beach firing a kalashnikov as he moved towards the hotel.

Three Irish tourists were killed in the attack that claimed 38 lives at Port El Kantaoui, in Sousse, Tunisia on June 26, 2015.

Laurence (aged 56) and Martina Hayes (aged 55) from Athlone, Co. Westmeath and Lorna Carty (aged 54) from Co. Meath were shot dead in the attack. An inquest into their deaths at Dublin Coroner’s Court heard from a number of tourists staying at the Imperial Marhaba Hotel when the attack took place.

Laurence and Martina Hayes.

Witness Raymond Hegarty was staying with his family on a room on the third floor. He said they were "having the perfect week".

However, he said he noticed the lack of security at the hotel. He was at the pool with his wife and two daughters when he heard shooting around 12.05pm.

“I had never heard gunfire but I knew there was something wrong. It was like sixth sense kicked in,” he said.

The gunman was approaching directly behind them as they rushed from the pool area into the hotel.

Mr Hegarty said: “I remember hearing the whizz of bullets and the thud of them hitting something.

"I heard an explosion and this seemed closer and more intense,” he said. Inside their hotel room, the family locked the door and pushed the bed up against it.

“We rushed in and barricaded the door. I took the mirror off the wall and we lay on the floor. We gathered our passports and money. We kept quiet. The gunman was still outside,” he said.

Seifeddine Rezgui carries AK-47 as he heads towards massacre targets. Tunisia terrorist attack.

Later, towards the end of the 30-minute attack, he looked out the window and saw a body at the front of the hotel, Mr Hegarty told the court.

The inquest heard evidence from Mr and Mrs Hayes’ only daughter Sinead Hayes and from Declan Carty, whose wife Lorna was shot dead on the beach, along with a number of tourists on holiday in the Tunisian resort at the time of the attack.

Lorna Carty.

The inquest is due to resume after lunch and finish later today.