portal_normal PUBLICATION STRUCTURE cat: /publications/bn-breakingnews/ireland/national


portal_normal STRUCTURE section: nationalnews

portal_normal getURLCurrent: /web/eveningecho/nationalnews/detailedstory?p_p_id=DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite&p_p_lifecycle=0&_DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite_arg_detailstory_uuid=6de0f8cf-4cc2-4063-848c-1d5548dc5a89

portal_normal getPortalURL getURLCurrent: http://www.echolive.ie./web/eveningecho/nationalnews/detailedstory?p_p_id=DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite&p_p_lifecycle=0&_DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite_arg_detailstory_uuid=6de0f8cf-4cc2-4063-848c-1d5548dc5a89

portal_normal getPortalURL: http://www.echolive.ie

portal_normal domain: http://www.echolive.ie

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - url: /nationalnews/Man-injured-in-Co-Kerry-incident-dies-in-hospital-6de0f8cf-4cc2-4063-848c-1d5548dc5a89-ds

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - section: nationalnews

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - orgcat: orgcat = /PUBLICATIONS/BN-BREAKINGNEWS/IRELAND/National


Man injured in Co Kerry incident dies in hospital

A man in his 30s has died from injuries following an early morning altercation outside a takeaway food outlet in Killorglin, Co Kerry.

Named locally as Stephen O'Connor, 32, from the Glencar area, close to the town, he had been on life support at Cork University Hospital after being transferred on Sunday from University Hospital Kerry on Sunday.

The deceased may have sustained a head injury.

Mr O'Connor is believed to be one of a family of six

The incident, reportedly involving one other person, occurred near the Chicken Zone takeaway, close to the town's Garda station.

Gardaí who conducted a technical examination of the area yesterday, have appealed for witnesses to contact them, including drivers with dashcam footage. Investigators also believe there was a large number of people in the town Square when the incident occurred between 2.15am and 2.20am on Sunday. It is traditionally the main celebration site during the summertime Puck Fair festival.

The critically injured man was initially brought to the hospital in Tralee before being transferred on Sunday to Cork. He had remained on a life support machine until yesterday afternoon when he died.

Locally, it was reported Mr O'Connor, who worked locally in agricultural and the construction industries, had been socialising with a group of friends.

The town was, as usual, busy for the weekend but the atmosphere throughout many Kerry towns was enhanced after Kerry's senior GAA national league thriller with Dublin in Tralee, the success of Kilcummin in the All-Ireland Intermediate Club final and the early afternoon rugby international.

Unconfirmed reports indicated gardai were following a certain line of inquiry. A post mortem is due to be conducted today and the results will determine the course of the Garda investigation. An incident room has been set up in Killorglin with an appeal for witnesses renewed yesterday afternoon.

Locally-based Fianna Fail councillor John Francis Flynn said people in the wider community were deeply upset. He said the Glencar area, in the foothills of the MacGillycuddy’s Reeks south of Killorglin, was a very close community.

The councillor said the O’Connor family were well known and respected. “People in the area are devastated,” Cllr Flynn said, extending his sympathy to family and friends of the deceased.

Meanwhile, Supt Flor Murphy has asked witnesses or anyone who can assist, including taxi drivers with dashcam, to contact Killarney Garda station on (064) 6671160, the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111 or any garda station.