VIDEO: Watch Wilton United celebrate their dramatic cup final victory at Turner's Cross

VIDEO: Watch Wilton United celebrate their dramatic cup final victory at Turner's Cross
Wilton United players with their captain Colm O'Driscoll holding the cup. Picture: Denis Minihane. 

Wilton United 1 College Corinthians 1

(Wilton win 4-1 on penalties)

WILTON United lifted the Cork Youth League’s Murphy Cup as they defeated College Corinthians on 4-1 penalties at Turner's Cross on Sunday morning.

After the game finished 1-1, man of the match Gavin Cummins proved to be the hero as the goalkeeper made two saves in the penalty shootout, allowing John Weir to score the winner.

Corinthians were the first side to have a shot in anger when midfielder David O’Sullivan went close after just eight minutes.

O’Sullivan was picked out on the edge of the Wilton penalty area thanks to a neat pass from Alex Connolly but he could only direct his powerful strike wide of the top left corner.

The Castletreasure club looked the more threatening and after good work down the right from O’Sullivan, the playmakers shot deflected just past the near post.

It wasn’t until just past the 20-minute mark of this cagey affair that Wilton finally forced an attempt on goal.

Colm O’Driscoll kept the attack alive as he headed back across the Corinthians goal from a corner.

His header fell kindly to Jamie Kent but the defender was unfortunate to see his low, drilled effort cleared off the line by Alex Connolly.

That near miss seemed to spark the game into life and Corinthians almost immediately charged up the other end and snatched the lead.

A superb through ball from David O’Sullivan sent Jordan O’Sullivan through one on one with the United keeper Gavin Cummins.

But as the striker attempted to go around the onrushing Cummins, the shot stopper did well to deflect the ball off the attacker and wide for a goal kick.

That miss would prove costly as with the first half drawing to a close, Wilton took the lead following a sustained spell of pressure.

A brilliant inswinging free kick from the Jamie Kent skipped off the head of the defence and out for a corner.

Corinthians struggled to defend the resulting set piece and could only scramble the ball clear to edge of the box, allowing United’s Nathan Broderick to expertly volley his shot into the top right corner despite the best efforts of the keeper.

Wilton nearly doubled their advantage in stunning circumstances moments later but striker Rory Byrne was desperately unlucky to see his ambitious long-range half volley strike the crossbar with the keeper beaten all ends up.

College Corinthians started the second 45 the better side as they looked to level the score.

Jordan O’Sullivan ought to have found the net shortly after the restart but the striker failed to connect with Keith White’s excellent cross which flashed across the face of the goal.

Stephen Fox was able to meet a Corinthians corner minutes later but the defender could only power his free header over from a few yards.

Corinthians maintained their dominance as the second period progressed but their finishing in front of goal remained an issue.

Jordan O’Sullivan drilled over following good build-up play involving Alex Connolly and Donagh Cribbon down the right before Stephen Fox also lashed just over after being set up by Joe Duggan.

But Corinthians finally grabbed the goal that their second half performance merited when Keith White’s strike deflected into the bottom right corner late on.

Striker Alex Connolly had the chance to prevent extra time but he could only hit his shot at the Wilton keeper when bearing down on goal.

The game ultimately had to be decided by the dreaded penalty shootout and Wilton emerged victorious as John Weir slotted his penalty to land the silverware.

WILTON UNITED: Gavin Cummins, Jamie Kent, Colm O’Driscoll, Evan Murphy, David Ward, Rob Wyse, James O’Sullivan, Nathan Broderick, Rory Byrne, Dylan Foley, Danny Gibson.

Subs: Colin Lemass for Jamie Kent (59), Jack Shiels for Danny Gibson (71), John Weir for Rob Wyse (90), Lee Cooke for Nathan Broderick (94).

COLLEGE CORINTHIANS: Robbie O’Leary, Sean Grace, Stephen Fox, Ethan Hurley, Ciaran Couch, Chris Healy, Conor Shalloe, Keith White, Alex Connolly, Jordan O’Sullivan, David O’Sullivan.

Subs: Donagh Cribbon for Sean Grace (45), Joe Duggan for David O’Sullivan (45), Eddie Healy for Joe Duggan (81), Oisin Lucais for Alex Connolly (107).

Referee: Shane O’Flynn.

Assistant Referees: Nicholas Cunneen and Pat Buckley.

More in this section

Sponsored Content



Add to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more