Late goals for Cork City wrap up win against Waterford

Late goals for Cork City wrap up win against Waterford
Graham Cummins of Cork City celebrates after scoring his side's second goal. Photo by Eóin Noonan/Sportsfile

By Denis Hurley

A crowd of 4,834 saw Cork City put themselves in position to regain top spot in the League of Ireland Premier Division as they saw off Waterford at Turner’s Cross on Friday night.

Late goals from Graham Cummins and Kieran Sadlier wrapped up the win which moves John Caulfield’s side 11 clear of the Blues, with a game in hand. That comes against Derry City on bank holiday Monday, where a win would allow the Rebel Army to move ahead of Dundalk once more.

Waterford had started well but couldn’t create enough clear chances. Their best opportunity was their first, as Bastien Héry tried to play Ismahil Akinade in but Mark McNulty was alert to danger as he sped off his line.

Twice in the opening period, City went close with long-range shots, Sadlier drawing a save from Lawrence Vigoroux while Barry McNamee’s effort came back off the inside of the post.

Cummins went close once or twice as well and in injury time a McNamee free kick was helped on by Cummins and Seán McLoughlin and Garry Buckley netted his fourth goal in fourth games.

Waterford pushed again on the resumption but City’s defending kept them at bay while a Sadlier free kick was pushed away by Vigouroux. Eventually, the second goal came on 76 as Sadlier showed great skill from a McNulty goal kick and fed sub Karl Sheppard on the right, his cross met by Cummins for his tenth of the season.

The same trio created the third, another Sheppard cross, this time Cummins heading down to Sadlier for an easy finish. Sheppard might have added a fourth from Steven Beattie’s through ball but it mattered little as the points were secured.

CORK CITY: McNulty; Horgan, Bennett, McLoughlin, Griffin; McCormack (Beattie 78), Keohane; McNamee (Sheppard 65), Buckley, Sadlier; Cummins (O’Hanlon 82).

WATERFORD: Vigouroux; Feely, Browne, Webster, Barnett; Héry; Holohan, Kasmi (Walsh 78); Martin; Duffus, Akinade.

Referee: R Harvey (Dublin).

More in this section

Sponsored Content