Fermoy grind out a victory in Tipp to set up a Munster final with Kerry champions

Fermoy grind out a victory in Tipp to set up a Munster final with Kerry champions
Fermoy's Alan O'Connor sidesteps three Moyne Templetouhy defenders. Picture: Eamonn McGee

Fermoy 2-6 Moyne-Templetuohy 0-8

THIS was very much a case of enough done but a lot more to do for Fermoy as they made the long trek to North Tipperary yesterday for the Munster Club IFC semi-final against the home team.

The object of the exercise in these type of encounters is to get in, get the job done and get back on the road again.

From that perspective, it was mission accomplished and they can now look forward to a Munster final clash with Kilcummin from Kerry.

However, when one considers that they registered all their scores in the opening half but didn’t add to that tally thereafter rightfully suggests that there’s a lot of room for improvement if they are going to be successful against the Kingdom representatives.

In that opening 30 minutes, they put 2-6 on the board and conceded just three points which gave them a significant advantage going back to the dressing room.

They had played with the aid of a strong wind in that half and they looked to be in a very comfortable position.

But on the turnover, the game swung in the other direction and it was Moyne-Templetuohy who took things to the Cork champions.

They outscored their opponents by 0-5 to 0-0 in that second 30 minutes and if they had managed to secure a goal it would have put Fermoy in a very precarious position.

The fact that they didn’t was down to a fine defensive display by the North Corkmen and mention must be made too of goalkeeper Liam Coleman who scored two long-range points from frees and had to be alert once or twice too to deny Moyne-Templetuohy.

It must be pointed out too that Fermoy were without a number of key players for various reasons.

Tomas Clancy was on holidays while Brian O’Sullivan and Ruairi O’Hagan were marked absent through injury.

All three are expected to be ready for the big showdown with Kilcummin next Sunday week.

Fermoy were the superior force in the early sequences and they were a goal in front after six minutes when Shane Aherne finished sublimely after good approach work by Martin Brennan and Alan O’Connor.

It was 1-3 to 0-3 after 15 minutes following points for Fermoy from O’Connor, Coleman and Dale Dawson.

John Hassett and Tom Meade responded for the Tipperary side and things got better for Fermoy as the half aged when Brennan stretched his foot to fire home a second goal.

Conor Bowe got a point back for Moyne-Templetuohy but Fermoy ended the half with further points from Coleman and Kieran Morrison with a fine brace.

That left it at 2-6 to 0-3 and the Tipp men surely had a mountain to climb now.

Fermoy's Jack Hutchings grabs a high ball. Picture: Eamonn McGee
Fermoy's Jack Hutchings grabs a high ball. Picture: Eamonn McGee

However, little did we know at that Fermoy had ended their scoring for the day and that protracted spell with no flags was a follow on from the previous Sunday against Galbally when they went 22 minutes of the second-half without scoring either.

That is a pattern that they don't want to develop on.

Bowe and Meade reduced the gap for Moyne when they resumed with points and when Diarmuid Leahy added to those scores after 49 minutes the gap had been reduced to five points.

Hassett brought it down to four with a pointed free after 58 minutes but that was the end of the scoring for the day.

The game ended somewhat chaotically for Moyne who had three players dismissed in the last few minutes, Niall Russell, Thomas Hammill and Martin Kelly, the latter two subs.

However, it must be stressed that this was not an unsporting game.

So, it was job done for Fermoy and on away soil nothing else mattered.

Scorers for Fermoy: M Brennan and S Aherne 1-0 each, L Coleman (0-1 45, 0-1 f) and K Morrison 0-2 each, A O’Connor (f) and D Dawson 0-1 each.

Moyne-Templetuohy: J Hassett 0-3 f, T Meade and C Bowe 0-2 each, D Leahy 0-1.

FERMOY: L Coleman; P Clancy, J Daly, R Morrison; P Murphy, D O’Carroll (c), A Baragry; R McEvoy, J Hutchings; S Aherne, P De Róiste, D Dawson; M Brennan, A O’Connor, K Morrisson.

Subs: R O’Callaghan for A O’Connor (50), A Aherne for J Hutchings (54), E Clancy for D Dawson (60).

MOYNE-TEMPLETUOHY: J Leahy; E Gorman, C Ely, J Grady; T Hassett (c), D Leahy, L Everard; T Hamill, J Bergin; D Lowe, C Bowe, T Meade; D Fogarty, J Hassett, O Lloyd.

Subs: B Kelly for D Lowe (35), N Russell for O Lloyd (38), M Ryan for E Gorman (55), M Kelly for J Hassett (59).

Referee: Alan Kissane (Waterford).

More in this section

Sponsored Content