Haven sub McCarthy followed up his try-scoring exploits for Garryowen with three points against Nemo

Haven sub McCarthy followed up his try-scoring exploits for Garryowen with three points against Nemo
David McCarthy scoring against Nemo. Picture: Larry Cummins

YOUNG David McCarthy's introduction, six minutes into the second-half of Castlehaven's extraordinary win over Nemo Rangers in Dunmanway on Sunday, was hardly noticed at the time.

But, when referee James Bermingham called a halt to proceedings to signal a 1-11 to 0-4 result, McCarthy had more than announced his arrival with three fine points from play.

Manager Liam Collins explained the background to the unveiling of such a talent who wouldn't be recognised outside of west Cork.

“He's with us all along from under-age, but for the last three years Dave's been playing rugby with Munster and Garryowen.

“Dave's a serious player. Our problem is that we haven't been able to get our hands on him.

“He's still playing rugby so we we're trying to juggle that. He came on on Sunday and had a fantastic game,” Collins commented.

Indeed, McCarthy scored a try in Garryowen's 26-23 come-from-behind win over Young Munster in the Munster Senior Cup quarter-final on Friday night.

It was a bizarre game in Dunmanway with the Haven leading by 0-3 to 0-0 after playing with the very strong wind in the opening half which yielded 15 wides.

“At half-time we felt we were in control even though we had missed a lot of chances.

“We stopped Nemo from playing the sort of game they like to play and we were still competing, creating the opportunities. They weren't going over, but on another day we would have scored.

“In the second-half Nemo had to come out and try something different and they did that.

“It meant the game opened up and gave us a bit more momentum going forward, when they were a bit looser at the back. We were able to get scores a bit easier.” 

The only goal came after 36 minutes, when finally outstanding Nemo keeper, Micheal Aodh Martin was beaten by Michael Hurley's stunning finish.

“It was a brilliant goal, but fair play to their keeper because he stopped a couple of earlier shots.

“We got the right player in the right place at the right time and Michael sunk it well.” 

The Haven built on that to surge 1-9 to 0-1 in front entering the closing quarter and it was game over.

Collins advised caution ahead of the semi-final against Duhallow the weekend after next.

“We've won absolutely nothing yet. We're only in the semi-final and we will take it one step at a time.

“We'll nurse our injuries and take it handy to make sure we're ready for the next day.

“This time last season we lost to Carbery Rangers by three points here in Dunmanway again.

“We kept fighting to the very end, but what cost us that day was our inability to convert chances into scores."

More in this section

Sponsored Content