Late surge helps Carrigaline to league triumph after a six-goal thriller

Late surge helps Carrigaline to league triumph after a six-goal thriller
Picture Ger Bonus

Carrigaline 2-13

Fermoy 4-4

CARRIGALINE claimed their first piece of silverware as a senior club when they defeated Fermoy to claim the Division 3 league title after Friday’s decider, which produced six goals, on the 4G pitch at Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

This game went down to the wire, with the scoreline 4-4 to 2-9 in Fermoy’s favour, before the Carrigaline pulled away with three successive frees, followed by one from play.

Wayward shooting proved costly for both sides before Fermoy’s Kieran Morrison broke the deadlock with a point from play in the seventh minute.

Fermoy continued to pin Carrigaline back, but they failed to convert territorial advantage into scores and Billy Pope tagged on a point for Carrigaline to level matters.

Both sides continued to trade points entering the second quarter, including a point from a free from Carrigaline’s Olin Barry. Then Cian Barry intercepted a Fermoy pass in midfield and set up Olin Barry for a fisted goal in the 20th minute to give them a 1-4 to 0-2 lead.

The Avondhu side responded three minutes later when Padraig de Róiste capitalised on sloppy defending to pounce for his side’s first goal, reducing the deficit to two points.

Shane Ahern scored a point for Fermoy to leave the minimum between the sides before unanswered points from Kevin Kavanagh and Pope gave Carrigaline an interval lead of 1-6 to 0-13.

Fermoy upped the ante after the break as Ronan O’Callaghan and Arlan Ahern drilled home goals from the edge of the square in a three-minute spell to put them in control.

Brian Coakley tied the scores at 2-6 to 3-3 with Carrigaline’s second goal from the corner of the square in the 35th minute.

Olin Barry and Luke Boyle tagged on unanswered points from play for Carrigdhoun before Rory O’Hagan pointed a free for Fermoy followed by their fourth goal by Alan O’Connor.

Fermoy were on the back foot for the final quarter and were held scoreless. Olin Barry slotted over a hat-trick of points from frees and Barry Ryan completed the scoring with time almost up.

Carrigaline's Olan Barry is tackled by Fermoy's Josh Pine. Picture: Ger Bonus
Carrigaline's Olan Barry is tackled by Fermoy's Josh Pine. Picture: Ger Bonus

Scorers for Carrigaline: O Barry 1-5 (0-4 f); B Coakley 1-1; B Pope 0-2, K McIntyre, J McCarthy, Kevin Kavanagh, L Boyle, B Ryan 0-1 each.

Fermoy: A O’Connor 1-1; P de Róiste, R O’Callaghan, A Ahern 1-0 each; R O’Hagan 0-1f; K Morrison, S Ahern 0-1 each.

CARRIGALINE: K Daly; L Boyle, E Riordan, T Deasy; Kieran Kavanagh, C Barry, J McCarthy; Kevin Kavanagh, K Dwane; B Ryan, B Pope, O Barry; A Coholan, K McIntyre, B Coakley.

Subs: E Kavanagh for Coholan (37); S Dwane for McIntyre (38).

FERMOY: L Coleman; P Clancy, J Daly, E Clancy; P Murphy, D O’Carroll, D Dawson; S Ahern, T Clancy; B O’Sullivan, P de Róiste, A Ahern; A O’Connor, R O’Callaghan, K Morrison.

Subs: J Pyne for P Clancy (30 inj); J O’Callaghan for Dawson (h/t); M Brennan for S Ahern, R O’Hagan for O’Callaghan (both 40); D O’Flynn for Murphy (50); A Creed for Pyne (60 inj).

Referee: E Sheehy (Newcestown).

More in this section

Sponsored Content