Barrs bounced back from their Munster championship disappointment to punish wasteful Ballincollig in league semi-final

Barrs bounced back from their Munster championship disappointment to punish wasteful Ballincollig in league semi-final
Colm Lyons, St Finbarr’s, taking a shot on goal under pressure from Ballincollig players last season. Picture: Dan Linehan

St Finbarr’s 2-10 Ballincollig 0-10

RECENTLY crowned county SFC winners St Finbarr’s edged out Ballincollig in the Rochestown Park Hotel Kelleher Shield division 1 football league semi-final at Togher. 

A powerful final quarter propelled the Barrs over the line, making up to some degree for the disappointment of their hammering against Dr Crokes in the Munster club championship, though the Collig were left to rue their wasted chances, particularly early in the second half.

The sides traded the first four points until Steven Sherlock clipped over a point for the winners. Ballincollig, who won the Kelleher Shield last season, were playing some nice football, and by the end of the first quarter, they nudged ahead through Darren Murphy and Cian Dorgan: 0-4 to 0-3.

The Muskerry side led by a point after 27 minutes, 0-7 to 0-6, but a slick Barrs move resulted in Colm Barrett goaling. Dorgan sent over a gem of a point for the Collig, but points from Jamie Burns and a Sherlock free pushed the winners 1-8 to 0-8 clear at half-time.

The second-half was a game of two quarters; Ballincollig kicked two points in the third-quarter, sub Jordan Murray and a Dorgan free with the white flags. If it wasn’t for wayward shooting, and the ball hitting the post twice, Collig would have been well ahead.

St Finbarr’s came good in the final-quarter, Sherlock converted a free after 48 minutes, it was their first score in the new half. The winners scored 1-1 in the final few minutes, Colin Lyons with the point, while sub Colm Keane raised the killer second green flag.

St Finbarr’s will Nemo Rangers in an all-City final on Thursday, December 6 at Páirc Uí Rinn.

Scorers for St Finbarr’s: S Sherlock 0-5 (0-4 f), C Barrett 1-1, C Keane 1-0, C Lyons 0-2, J Burns 0-1, R O’Mahony 0-1.

Ballincollig: C Dorgan 0-6 (0-4 f), D Murphy 0-1, J Murray 0-1, L Fahy 0-1, C O’Sullivan 0-1.

ST FINBARR’S: J McDonnell; C Scully, G O’Connor, C Holland; C Lyons, A McCarthy, A O’Connor; I Maguire (c), J Burns; D O’Brien, E Finn, E Dennehy; C Barrett, R O’Mahony, S Sherlock.

Subs: A Murphy for R O’Mahony (38), C Keane for E Finn (39), P Kennedy for A McCarthy (43, B-C), O Murphy for A O’Connor (54), K Hodgins for D O’Brien (60), E Keane for J Burns (61).

BALLINCOLLIG: C Noonan; S Murphy, L Jennings, N Galvin; L Fahy, S O’Donoghue, R Bourke; P O’Neill, C O’Sullivan; K Coleman, P Kelly (c), G Durrant; K Browne, C Dorgan, D Murphy.

Subs: J Murray for K Coleman (29, inj), J Gibbons for C Noonan (h-t), K Crowley for L Fahy (42 inj), J O’Connor for K Browne (52), J Miskella for P Kelly (54), J Kelly for P O’Neill (56), S Lucey for S O’Donoghue (59).

Referee: Brian Coniry (Crosshaven).

More in this section

Sponsored Content