One of Cork's top teams are set for a trip to the Aviva in the FAI Intermediate Cup

One of Cork's top teams are set for a trip to the Aviva in the FAI Intermediate Cup
Avondale United's Josh O'Shea in action against Ringmahon. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

THERE will be a Cork team in this year’s FAI Intermediate Cup final after the semi-final draw was made in Dublin yesterday.

Rockmount, safely through to the last four after last weekends 2-1 quarter-final win over Collinstown in Whitechurch, will face the winners of Avondale United or Midleton away in the last four.

The latter two will play their semi-final in Avondale Park on Sunday morning (10.45am).

In the other semi-final, favourites Crumlin, 3-0 winners over Killester Doneycarney in their quarter-final clash at the weekend, will take on cup holders Maynooth University who defeated Noel Healy’s UCC 3-1.

Both semi-finals are scheduled for the weekend of March 23.

The draw means there will be a Munster Senior League team taking to the pitch at the Aviva on May 11, after a brief spell without a Leeside presence, following Cobh Wanderers’ shootout loss to Liffey Wanderers in 2017.

Between them, Rockmount and Avondale have won 11 Intermediate Cups, while Midleton are chasing their first, but there will be a huge incentive now for the Magpies, as well as their hosts, ahead of Sunday’s game.

UCC's Garan Manley clears from Midleton's Kevin Murray. Picture: Eddie O'Hare
UCC's Garan Manley clears from Midleton's Kevin Murray. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

That tie was meant to be played last weekend, but Avondale Park was deemed unplayable, and the game will return to the venue this Sunday.

Rockmount were under pressure to play their quarter-final last Saturday evening, with the game postponed because of fog the previous weekend, but in difficult conditions, Billy Cronin’s men won 2-1 much to the delight of their supporters.

Two Daniel Duggan goals had the home side 2-0 ahead at the break and although Luke Fitzpatrick pulled a goal back for the visitors after the interval, Rockmount defended their lead for the remainder of the game.

Rockmount celebrate a goal last weekend. Picture: Ger Bonus
Rockmount celebrate a goal last weekend. Picture: Ger Bonus

Unfortunately, UCC didn’t make it into the hat for yesterday’s draw after they went down 3-1 away to holders Maynooth University Town.

Second-half goals from Conor Foley and Cillian Duffy (2) rocked UCC and they just couldn’t recover and had to settle for last minute consolation from Patrick Crowley.

Also through to the last four are favourites Crumlin United who beat Killester Donneycarney 3-0 in what was a top of the table clash in the Leinster Senior League’s top flight division.

In all, just six games survived the horrendous weather last weekend, with a number of them having to be switched to astro-pitches.

On the cup front locally, there was one game played in the Beamish Stout Senior Cup and it saw Ringmahon Rangers beat Park United 3-2 (see report left) to book a second-round date away to Casement Celtic or Cobh Wanderers, whose game was postponed.

Indeed all other Beamish Cup games were postponed as was the Monday night tie between Midleton and Castleview.

On the junior front last weekend, holders Avondale United are safely through to the second round of the Beamish Stout Junior Super Cup after a comfortable 6-0 win away to Blarney United.

The premier division league leaders had too much in the tank for their first division hosts as two goals from Greg Murphy and one each from Ray Murphy and Dave O’Keeffe had the visitors 4-0 up at the break.

Ray Murphy and Mark Mullan chipped in with further goals to send Avondale through to the second round where they will face the winners of Ringmahon Rangers B and Leeds.

In the all second division clash at Moneygourney, Douglas Hall Athletic came out on top at Bandon’s expense after a 2-0 win, thanks to a brace from Conor O’Leary.

Hall’s reward is a home clash with Tramore Athletic or Carrigaline United in the second round.

Carrigaline United A are already through thanks to their 2-1 win at home Fermoy. With Carrigaline currently occupying the relegation places and Fermoy in the promotion race, this was something of a surprise, but deserved result.

John Harrington opened the scoring for Carrigaline in the first half and the win was secured in the 88th minute when Jonathan Murphy scored.

Fermoy pulled a goal back through Sean Desmond in injury-time, but it was too little too late.

Carrigaline will face the winners of Everton United or Rockmount in the second round.

All other first-round games were postponed at the weekend, but there are two games scheduled for the weekend, both on Friday.

Douglas Hall will face Wilton United in Moneygourney (7.45pm) and the premier side should get the better of their first division visitors and book a second-round clash with the winners of Kilreen Celtic and College Corinthians Academicals.

In the other tie, Passage will host Mayfield United (7.30pm) with the first division promotion hopefuls expected to beat their second division opponents.

More in this section

Sponsored Content