Carrigaline United ruled in the Murphy’s Youth Cup decider at the Cross

Carrigaline United ruled in the Murphy’s Youth Cup decider at the Cross
Carrigaline Utd celebrate their Murphy Cup win. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

Carrigaline United 6 Springfield Ramblers 2

CARRIGALINE United secured the silverware on offer in the Murphy's Youth Cup final on Sunday morning at Turner’s Cross.

This was a very convincing display from Carrigaline and it was a ruthless opening 45 minutes in particular that essentially ended this game as a contest.

It was indeed Carrigaline were the ones that struck for their first in the opening minutes of the proceedings.

A corner-kick was floated into the box by Ronan Connolly, which Wayne O’Halloran did his best to get on the end of. But ultimately, the ball ended up in the back of the net via a deflection off a Springfield defender.

Things then got even better from a Carrigaline perspective in the 18th minute when they doubled their lead. Dylan O’Flaherty showed his predatory instincts inside the box, by controlling well before finishing from close range after Springfield had initially failed to clear their lines.

It was Carrigaline that came out in fully determined fashion. But Ramblers had a decent opportunity to peg a goal back when Darragh Healan blazed over the crossbar from a decent position.

It was Carrigaline that did go into a three-goal advantage with 27 minutes gone. A wonderful curling cross was put into the box by Michael Fahy, with O’Flaherty executing his headed effort to precision to the bottom corner of the net.

There was a real sense of purpose to the way Carrigaline approached the game and the way they were knocking the ball about.

They got goal number four of the afternoon on the 35th-minute mark. O’Flaherty broke free in the box before laying the ball on a plate for O’Halloran, who duly tapped the ball home.

A fifth Carrigaline goal arrived moments later when Michael Fahy was to apply the necessary finish inside the box.

O’Flaherty was on hand to complete his hat-trick before the half time break when he headed in impressively from a Connolly corner kick.

It capped off what was a devastating opening half of football from a Carrigaline perspective, one which on the overall balance of play was to prove decisive in the outcome of this contest.

In the second half, Eoin Ryan went on a darting run down the wing, but there was nobody there on the receiving end of his cross.

Ciaran Griffen had a chance to get a consolation for Ramblers, but Carrigaline keeper Callum Finnegan was on hand to save well.

Springfield did get those late consolation goals when Brian Danay chipped the ball over the onrushing Carrigaline shot-stopper before Ciaran Griffen netted with a second for Ramblers before full time.

Things played out to a comfortable conclusion and it was a thoroughly deserved victory from a Carrigaline point of view.

Next on the agenda for Carrigaline is the Munster Youths Cup final on Saturday evening. They travel to Ozier Park in Waterford to take on Tramore FC in the decider.

Eoin Ryan, Carrigaline, passes the ball away from Kyle Fermedge, Springfield. Picture: Jim Coughlan.
Eoin Ryan, Carrigaline, passes the ball away from Kyle Fermedge, Springfield. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

CARRIGALINE UNITED: Callum Finnegan: Brian Simpson, Adam O’Driscoll, Tom O’Connell, Dylan Stansfield, Ronan Connolly, Nathan O’Connell, Michael Fahy, Dylan O’Flaherty, Wayne O’Halloran, Eoin Ryan.

Subs: Dara O’Connell for Fahy (h-t), Andrew Egan for O’Halloran, Jake Boyle for Stansfield (both 55), Shaun Allen for Simpson, Patrick Scully for O’Connell (both 65).

SPRINGFIELD RAMS: Jamie Bates: Luke Hamilton, Diarmuid Kearney, Ciaran Collins, Kieran Allen, Jamie Kelly, Morgan Dillon Hilton, Colin Lane, Ciaran Griffen, PJ O’Regan, Darragh Healan.

Subs: Roland Nsubuga for Kelly (50), Ben Kelleher for Hamilton (64), Brian Danay for O’Regan (70), Kyle Fermedge for Healan (74), Rhys Welham for Lane (83).

Referee: John Thompson.

More in this section

Sponsored Content