Coleman is the hero for Killumney in the President’s Cup decider

Coleman is the hero for Killumney in the President’s Cup decider
Picture: Barry Peelo.

Castleview 0 Killumney United 1

KILLIAN COLEMAN came off the bench to score a 70th-minute winner as Killumney United lifted the President’s Cup following a 1-0 victory over Castleview at the Cross on Tuesday evening.

Getting the nod for man of the match was Dave McCarthy who had a solid game at the back for the winners.

Dave McCarthy is presented with the man of the match award (sponsored by Gary McCarthy Trophies) by Henry Healy. 
Dave McCarthy is presented with the man of the match award (sponsored by Gary McCarthy Trophies) by Henry Healy. 

In a final that took a while to get going, Killumney looked forceful from the off as Jamie Manahan had Gordon Aherne worked to stop a low effort after 10 minutes.

And when Kelvin Greaney tried to thread one through for Clive Green, Dave McCarthy read the situation well enough to close the door on the danger.

But, when Greaney skewed his effort on goal, the ball came into the path of Dylan McCarthy, who drilled it narrowly wide from a good position.

After pressure on the Castleview goal, Green had some space but hesitated enough to allow Dave McCarthy block and tidy up with ease.

The final was crying out for a big moment and it came when Manahan shifted inside his opponent before unleashing a thunderbolt that smacked the View’s crossbar before being cleared.

At the other end Anthony Raymond played a short pass for Stephen Barrett to crack a tame effort that Killumney keeper Craig O’Driscoll collected.

The final action in a mundane first half saw Steven Falvey collect from Manahan to fire narrowly wide.

Minutes into the second half, Killumney had a magnificent chance to nose in front when Daniel O’Connor hooked the ball on for Alan O’Flynn, but with the goal gaping, the defender somehow blazed the ball over.

This was followed by a decent free kick from Dave McCarthy that sailed over and then, from a corner, the same player made his presence felt again when his looping header was collected by Castleview keeper Gordon Aherne.

Killumney continued to press and Coleman nearly got through but was crowed out by Ciaran Meehan and Dylan Cambridge at the expense of a corner.

It was from this corner that Coleman rose to power home his header on 70 minutes.

Castleview pressed for an equaliser, but it was Killumney’s night.

CASTLEVIEW: Gordon Aherne, Aaron Broderick, Dylan Cambridge, Ciaran Meehan, Mark Hurley, Anthony Raymond, Dylan McCarthy, Thomas Fitzgerald, Clive Green, Kelvin Greaney, Stephen Barrett.

Subs: Evan Burke and Robbie Leahy for Dylan McCarthy and Stephen Barrett (71), Jay Cronin for Dylan Cambridge (72), Kelvin Forde for Mark Hurley (85).

KILLUMNEY UNITED: Craig O’Driscoll, Evan Hogan, Dave McCarthy, David Sheehan, Alan O’Flynn, Morgan O’Mahony, Daniel O’Connor, Michael Kelleher, Luke Dennehy, Jamie Manahan, Steven Falvey.

Subs: Killian Coleman and Dalian Roche for Daniel O’Connor and Evan Hogan (53), Darragh O’Connor and Conor McHugh for Steven Falvey and Michael Kelleher (62), Ciaran Hutchinson for Morgan O’Mahony (82).

Referee: Tony Thompsonm (assistants: Daniel Daunt and Ted Callanan).

More in this section

Sponsored Content



Add to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more