Former Cork hurler Paudie O'Sullivan was the cup final hero for Churchvilla

Former Cork hurler Paudie O'Sullivan was the cup final hero for Churchvilla
Paudie O'Sullivan. 

Churchvilla 3 Grattan United B 0

CHURCHVILLA were crowned Saxone Cup champions following two goals and a man of the match performance from Paudie O’Sullivan at Turner’s Cross.

Following a tense opening from both sides in terrible conditions, Churchvilla were the first to threaten in the third minute following a move involving Graham Fleming, Paudie O’Sullivan and Steve Beausang. The ball broke back to O’Sullivan in the box but he tried to place the ball past Scott O’Shea but the Grattan keeper kept his nerve to make a good stop.

Play then switched to the other end but Derek Kiely failed to make good contact in front of goal and the chance was wasted.

Churchvilla made the breakthrough on nine minutes and it was O’Sullivan again who made room in the box and this time he got the better of O’Shea although the keeper got a hand to the ball.

Grattan had another half chance on 24 minutes. This time a mistake in the Churchvilla defence let in Daniel Whittingham but his shot lacked conviction.

Controversy reigned when the Churchvilla keeper made a rash challenge on the edge of his area but was relieved when referee Paul O’Sullivan ruled that the offence happened outside the box.

Churchvilla doubled their advantage on 38 minutes following a corner. Grattan failed to clear the danger and when the ball came back into the box, Steve Beausang stooped low to head past O’Shea to make it 2-0.

Grattan started the second half in a more determined mood and were nearly rewarded on 46 minutes when Jamie Carroll cut in from the left but his powerful shot was pushed away by Haandrikmann. With 65 minutes on the clock, Grattan had a great chance to pull one back when the ball was squared back across the area and found Whittingham in a great position on the penalty spot but his shot lacked enough power to beat Haandrikmann.

Churchvilla stretched their lead on 75 minutes following a defence-splitting pass from Briain Minihane found Paudie O’Sullivan in space and after making ground into the penalty area, he finished calmly.

With time running out, Mark Hurley had a great chance to put some respectability on the scoreline but his close-range effort was well saved by Haandrikmann and shortly afterwards the ref brought proceeding to an end and the celebrations began.

CHURCHVILLA: Jan Haandrikmann, Graham Fleming (Fossett 87), Mossie Walsh, Chris Smith, John O’Driscoll, Tomas O’Leary (Crichton 90), Paudie O’Sullivan (Twomey 87), Steve Beausang, Briain Minihane (Jaslowski 87), Dylan Cahill, Ian Cahill (Dineen 77). Subs: Conor Twomey, Pa Dineen, Karl Jaslowski, Daniel Fossett, Stuart Crichton, Evan Walsh, Aaron Downey.

GRATTAN UNITED B: Scott O’Shea, Adrian Duggan (Power 77), David Ford, Steve Harris, Eugene Hennessy (Bruton 78), Sean Lynch, Daniel Whittingham (O’Leary 70), Derek Kiely (Lyons 50), Jamie Carroll (Hurley 60), Richard O’Hare, Damien McSweeney. Subs: Donal Lyons, Timmy Power, Ken Bruton, Mark Hurley, Jason O’Leary, Jonathan Harris, Tadgh Lawton.

Referee: Paul O’Sullivan, Tony Thompson, Bryan Forde

More in this section

Sponsored Content



Add to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more