Bohemians denied City a spot in the last four of the EA Sports Cup

Bohemians denied City a spot in the last four of the EA Sports Cup
Picture: INPHO/Laszlo Geczo

Bohemians 2 Cork City 0

CORK CITY’s hopes of EA Sports Cup glory are over after they went down to Bohemians in night’s quarter-final at Dalymount Park.

While a penalty save from Tadhg Ryan kept the game scoreless in the first half, Bohs led soon after, and converted a second spot-kick in the second half to guarantee victory.

City had six changes from Friday’s league loss at Shamrock Rovers, with Dan Casey back from injury while Ryan was given a run-out in goal and Shane Griffin lined up on the left side of midfield. 

The opening stages were scrappy, with no real clear-cut chances, though City might have had an opening but Conor McCarthy’s low cross ricocheted off Darragh Rainsford’s foot and goalkeeper James Talbot — recently called up to the Ireland squad — claimed.

James Tilley had an effort wide from distance while Rainsford fired over after good link-up play from Griffin and Kevin O’Connor and then, on 25 minutes, McCarthy was unlucky not to get more on Griffin’s cross.

While City were having the better of the chances, Bohs were well in the game and on the half-hour they were given a great opportunity as they won a penalty. After Ross Tierney’s shot hit Ryan Graydon, a scramble ensued and the Gypsies attacker was deemed to have been fouled.

Sam Byrne stepped up but his low shot to Tadhg Ryan was well kept out by the goalkeeper. Unfortunately for City, a goal arrived just three minutes later. When Scott Allardice’s nice pass set Graydon away on the left, his shot came back off the post but Tierney followed up for a tap-in to open the scoring.

Picture: Harry Murphy/Sportsfile
Picture: Harry Murphy/Sportsfile

Not long after that, Graydon had another chance, Ryan saving his curling effort this time and City’s only real effort between then and half-time was a Kevin O’Connor half-volley that was relatively easy for Talbot to deal with.

City looked to push for an equaliser on the resumption, with Graham Cummins testing Talbot early on, but by and large the chances were hard to come by. At the other end, Byrne and James Finnerty had long-range efforts off-target for Bohs.

Just after the midway point in the half, a marauding run by City sub Gearóid Morrissey led to a chance for Rainsford, who was unlucky to see the ball hit the top of the crossbar and bounce clear.

Another sub, Dáire O’Connor, flashed a shot wide, but Bohs nearly made it 2-0 as their sub Danny Mandroiu’s free kick took a deflection off the wall and went just wide.

Ten minutes from the end, Mandroiu was involved again. Set away by Byrne, he made his way into the area and Morrissey, in attempting to challenge, bundled him over, resulting in a penalty. Mandroiu sent his shot high to the left corner. 

Allardice had a late effort off the bar, but the home side didn’t need a third.

BOHEMIANS: Talbot; Lyons, Barker, Finnerty, Kirk; McCourt (Mandroiu half-time), Allardice; Wade-Slater (Ward 54), Tierney, Graydon (Devoy 69); Byrne.

CORK CITY: Ryan; McCarthy, Casey, McLoughlin, Hurley (D O’Connor 70); Rainsford, Buckley, K O’Connor, Griffin; Tilley; Cummins (Morrissey 58).

Referee: R Hennessy (Limerick).

More in this section

Sponsored Content



Add to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more