Mighty minor footballers march past Monaghan and into All-Ireland semi

Mighty minor footballers march past Monaghan and into All-Ireland semi
Patrick Campbell of Cork in action against Cian Maguire of Monaghan. Picture: David Fitzgerald/Sportsfile

Cork 3-19 Monaghan 2-10

CORK march on to the Electric Ireland MFC semi-final as they proved far too strong for Monaghan at O'Connor Park.

In the second game of the day involving Cork sides, they made sure both travelled down the road in top form as now face Mayo in two weeks in the semi-final.

Before them, the U20s got the better of Tyrone in the All-Ireland semi-final to set up a meeting with Dublin in the final.

This quarter-final was tight for the opening 20 minutes or so, but it turned on its head as the Rebels struck for two goals in a minute, to put them seven points in front and they never looked back from there.

They had a scare in the second half when Monaghan were awarded two penalties, but they never panicked and even though the second one brought their opponents within three they never really looked like catching Cork.

The Rebels had outstanding displays all over the pitch, with Daniel Linehan and Daniel Peet leading the defence by example, Keelan Scannell outstanding at midfield and up front Monaghan had no answer to the likes of Conor Corbett and Patrick Campbell.

Monaghan could have been in front just 30 seconds in, were it not for a superb block by Peet.

Diarmuid Marron burst forward, before playing the ball to Michael Hamill and is pass found Liam McDonald, but as he shot Peet dived superbly to block him for what looked like a certain goal.

Two minutes in and the Rebels were in front, when Campbell scored from a free, with Marron replying at the other end.

Michael O'Neill put Cork in front with Darragh Dempsey replying at the other end, to make it 0-2 apiece with seven minutes played.

A minute later and Cork were unlucky not to goal when Jack Lawton burst forward from midfield and his pass to Corbett would have led to a certain goal, but Monaghan keeper Joe Kirk, managed to get a touch to the ball to deny him.

Points from Darragh Cashman and O'Neill for Cork, with Dempsey and Jason Irwin replying had the sides level again, 0-4 apiece, with 15 minutes gone.

Corbett and Eoin Duffy exchanged points before Campbell put Cork in front.

But in a tight opening, a free from Jason Irwin had the sides level again, 0-6 apiece.

A free from O'Neill put the Rebels in front before we had the two goals in a minute.

The first saw Corbett win back possession, play a one-two with Jack Cahalane and his pass found O'Neill who blasted to the back of the net. Straight from the re-start, Cork regained possession and Corbett brushed aside the Monaghan defence to goal, making it 2-7 to 0-6.

Campbell added a point from a free, which he initially put wide, but the ref had it retaken after he judged a Monaghan player had impeded him.

Late points from Irwin and Dempsey for Monaghan saw six between them at half-time as the Rebels led 2-8 to 0-8.

Scannell and Linehan extended the Rebels lead at the start of the second half, but seven minutes in Monaghan were thrown a lifeline when Conor McKernan was fouled and Liam McDonald found the back of the net from the resultant penalty.

Linehan and Campbell pointed to keep the Rebels well in front, 2-12 to 1-8, before Monaghan were awarded their second penalty, this time for a foul on David Kerley, with McDonald again scoring, to make it 2-9 to 2-12.

But Cork never panicked and three points from Ryan O'Donovan, who impressed after coming on as a sub, along with Walsh Murphy had them well in control.

Campbell rounded off an impressive afternoon with the Rebels third goal, with Corbett scoring a late free as the Rebels march on after a well-deserved win.

Scorers for Cork: P Campbell 1-5 (0-3 f), C Corbett 1-3 (0-2 f), M O'Neill 1-3, R O'Donovan 0-3 (0-1 f), D Linehan 0-2, D Cashman, K Scannell, A Walsh Murphy 0-1 each.

Monaghan: L McDonald 2-0 pen, J Irwin 0-3 (0-2 f), D Dempsey 0-4, D Marron, E Duffy, A Brennan 0-1 each.

CORK: C O'Leary; A Walsh-Murphy, D Linehan, D Peet; D Cashman, N Lordan, J O'Shea; J Lawton, K Scannell; H Murphy, C Corbett, E Nash; M O'Neill, P Campbell, J Cahalane.

Subs: R O'Donovan for M O'Neill (36), K O'Driscoll for J Cahalane (56), L Murphy for A Walsh Murphy (60), T O'Donoghue for P Campbell (60).

MONAGHAN: J Kirk; C Maguire, R Boyle, S Hanratty; K Connolly, E Duffy, S Slevin; C McKernan, D Treanor; D Marron, K Gallagher, M Hamill; D Dempsey, J Irwin, L McDonald.

Subs: M Coyle for D Marron, A Stewart for S Slevin, D Kerley for C McKernan (43), A Brennan for A Stewart (54, bc), D McCahey for C Maguire (57), D Courtney for M Hamill (60).

Referee: Liam Devenney, Mayo.

More in this section

Sponsored Content