Cunningham and Twomey strike late for St Finbarr's U21s against Skibb

Cunningham and Twomey strike late for St Finbarr's U21s against Skibb
Minor hurler Ethan Twomey hit a late point for St Finbarr's U21 footballers. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

St Finbarr’s 1-13 O’Donovan Rossa 2-6

ST Finbarr’s super subs Sam Cunningham and Ethan Twomey struck late to propel the Blues into the U21 A county football quarter-final yesterday.

The sides were tied after 55 minutes following this very entertaining replay when Sam Cunningham netted in emphatic fashion, before Ethan Twomey sealed a deserved triumph with a late point for the Barrs.

St Finbarr’s now move forward to a quarter-final clash against city rivals St Michael’s, with the winners playing Douglas or Kilshanning.

Defeat was tough on a Rossa outfit who contributed enormously to another engrossing encounter. The Skibbereen outfit were, however, missing a number of key players.

The Barrs can now move forward with confidence following this impressive display. They are strong in all sectors — their front six in particular with Colm Barrett, James Linehan and Darragh Callinan landing some fine scores.

This was a game of contrasting fortunes. St Finbarr’s dominated for large periods of the first half, but some wasteful shooting let them down.

The Barrs opened the scoring in the second minute when Darragh O’Sullivan converted a free. The Skibb response was significant as Kevin Hurley netted after good work from Dylan Hourihane. The Barrs soon thundered into the game as they struck seven successive points, which saw them enjoy a five-point lead at the interval, 0-8 to 1-0.

The Rossas, helped by a number of tactical switches at the break, enjoyed a much more productive second half as Sean Fitzgerald, Dylan Hourihane, and Rory Byrne greatly impressed. A superb individual goal from Byrne reduced the arrears to one point after 37 minutes.

They were level in the 40th minute when Eoghan O’Connell pointed from close range.

The sides continued to exchange points in an enthralling finale, before Cunningham and Cork minor hurler Twomey struck.

Scorers for St Finbarr’s: S Cunningham 1-0, D O’Sullivan 0-3 (0-2 f), C Barrett 0-3, J Lenihan 0-3, D Callinan 0-2, A Turner, E Twomey 0-1 each.

O’Donovan Rossa: R Byrne 1-2, K Hurley 1-1, D Hourihane 0-2 (0-1 f), E O’Connell 0-1.

ST FINBARR’S: D Moran, E O’Regan, M Aherne, S Dwane, B O’Connell, Craig O’Sullivan, Cian O’Sullivan, B Hayes, A Turner, J Lenihan, C Barrett, J O’Brien, D Callinan, L Hannigan, D O’Sullivan.

Subs used: S Cunningham for J O’Brien (46), E Twomey for M Aherne (48), F O’Connor for Cian O’Sullivan (60).

O’DONOVAN ROSSA: P Minihane, N Fitzgerald, E Fitzgerald, P O’Neill, S O’Driscoll, J Cowap, A Nott, S Fitzgerald, R Byrne, O Lucey, D Hourihane, M O’Sullivan, E O’Connell, K Hurley, P O’Brien.

Subs used: F O’Donovan for N Fitzgerald (30), A O’Regan for P O’Brien (30).

Referee: F O Murchu (Valley Rovers).

More in this section

Sponsored Content