Douglas upped the gears to see off UCC in high-octane senior football tie

Douglas upped the gears to see off UCC in high-octane senior football tie
Douglas' Eoin O'Sullivan is tackled by UCC's Oran Collins. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Douglas 2-16 UCC 1-14

DOUGLAS saw off the challenge of UCC in an entertaining SFC third-round game at Páirc Uí Rinn last night.

Having been outplayed in the opening half, Douglas took control, with some astute half-time substitutions paying dividends.

James Holland opened the scoring for Douglas after two minutes with a pointed free, but UCC then took control, hitting five points in the next 10 minutes.

Daire Cleary, Padraig Lucey, and Evan Courtney all dominated as points from Padraig de Brún, Cleary, and a Gary Murphy free, plus two from Courtney put the students four ahead.

Douglas got a bit of momentum going with a free from Sam Collins, and points from play by Conor Russell and Brian Hartnett made it a one-point game after 18 minutes.

College’s Courtney and Murphy exchanged points with Eoin O’Sullivan and Collins before a speculative shot from Ronan Buckley found the back of the Douglas net to leave the students leading 1-8 to 0-7 at half time.

Douglas were a different team after the break, with two quick O’Sullivan frees closing the gap.

James Naughton and de Brún points sandwiched between a Russell point left three between them after 40 minutes.

Douglas hit a purple patch, registering five points in the next 10 minutes, with Russell getting three, as well as one each from Shane Kingston and O’Sullivan, as they took a two-point lead which they did not relinquish.

Shane McCarthy saw a goal-bound effort blocked, but Douglas substitute Sean Wilson found the net from the rebound with eight minutes remaining.

McCarthy extended Douglas’ lead to five points before College rallied in an attempt to save the game.

A point from Adam McGrath and two frees from Alan Quinn set up a hectic finish as Douglas netminder Brian Boyle brought off a spectacular save.

James Holland finally sealed the game for Douglas with a goal.

Douglas will now have over a month to wait before playing their quarter-final opponents.

UCC's Evan Courtney shoots from Douglas' Eoin Cadogan. Picture: Eddie O'Hare
UCC's Evan Courtney shoots from Douglas' Eoin Cadogan. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Scorers for Douglas: C Russell 0-5 (0-1 f), J Holland 1-1 (0-1 f), E O’Sullivan 0-4 f, S Wilson 1-0, S Collins 0-2 (0-1 f), S Kingston 0-2, B Hartnett, S McCarthy 0-1 each.

UCC: G Murphy 0-5 (0-3 f), E Courtney 0-4 (0-1 f), R Buckley 1-0, P de Brún 0-2, D Cleary, J Naughton, A McGrath 0-1 each.

DOUGLAS: B Boyle; D Sheehan, D Sweeney, K Hayes Curtin; N Walsh, E Cadogan, K Flahive; B Hartnett, E O’Sullivan; S Kingston, D Hanrahan, L Dineen; J Holland, C Russell, S Collins.

Subs: S Wilson for N Walsh (21-30 temp), S Wilson for D Sweeney, N Hartnett for Hanrahan (both h-t), S McCarthy for Collins (bc 50), L McGrath for Hayes Curtin (51).

UCC: E O’Brien (Churchill, Kerry); O Collins (Adare, Limerick), M Flood (St. Bridgets, Meath), T Linehan (St. Michaels); L Wall (Kilmurry), K Ryan (Mungret/St. Pauls, Limerick), J Naughton (St. Senan’s, Limerick), P Lucey (Killarney Legion, Kerry), J Ryan (Ballymartle); R Buckley (Listry, Kerry), E Courtney (Eire Óg Ennis, Clare), P de Brún (Firies, Kerry), G Murphy (Castletownbere), D Cleary (Laune Rangers, Kerry), L O’Sullivan (St. Michael’s).

Subs: D Shorten (Ballingeary) for O’Sullivan (43), J Harney (Moyle Rovers, Tipperary) for J Ryan (48), A McGrath (Galtee Rovers, Tipperary) for de Brún (52), A Quinn (Macroom) for K Ryan (55).

Referee: J Ryan (Macroom).

More in this section

Sponsored Content