Cork end the Super 8s on a disappointing note after exciting finale against Rossies

Cork end the Super 8s on a disappointing note after exciting finale against Rossies
Picture: Matt Browne/Sportsfile

Cork 3-9 Roscommon 4-9

SO much for a dead-rubber! 

A so-called meaningless game produced seven goals, 13 yellow cards and three blacks as Roscommon claimed their first win in six efforts in the Super 8s yesterday.

Páirc Uí Rinn was blasted with torrential rain throughout and this impacted on the quality on view, but the sizeable Roscommon contingent in the 2,356 attendance hardly mattered as they savoured a rare victory.

Picture: Matt Browne/Sportsfile
Picture: Matt Browne/Sportsfile

The second-half was hectic. Cork led by 2-7 to 1-8 after 44 minutes, when there was a goal rush, unfortunately most of it happened at the home end.

Brian Stack slammed in his second after 52 minutes to nudge the Rossies a point in front as a punch up led to six yellows, three apiece.

Seven minutes later the Roscommon followers’ joy reached new heights as they celebrated a superb Enda Smyth goal after a surging burst through the defence.

Within a minute, though, Cork were back to within touching distance again as James Loughrey scored for the second game running, when he punched home John O’Rourke’s pass, 3-8 to 3-7.

A minute from the end of regulation time, Roscommon bagged their fourth, midfielder Shane Killoran storming through to score impressively.

With five minutes’ added-on time, Cork still had opportunities to rescue the tie as substitutes Stephen Sherlock and O’Rourke added points.

Indeed, with Cork trailing by two, Sherlock’s fisted effort for a goal struck keeper Darren O’Malley in the chest and Roscommon cleared their lines.

They made sure of victory with a Donie Smith point in the closing act of an eventful game, which started brightly for Cork, who were 1-1 up inside 70 seconds.

Luke Connolly set-up Mark Collins for a goal after intercepting O’Malley’s re-start before Conor Cox’s free-taking helped settle Roscommon.

They were back level at 1-5 each by the 28th minute after Stack finished well from a Cathal Gregg pass.

Yet, 30 seconds later, Eoghan McSweeney’s probing ball from the right was punched home by Connolly, who had earlier shot wide, when put through by Paul Kerrigan. Cork led by 2-5 to 1-7 at the break.

Picture: INPHO/Oisin Keniry
Picture: INPHO/Oisin Keniry

Scorers for Cork: L Connolly 1-3 (0-3 f), M Collins 1-2 (0-2 f), J Loughrey 1-0, R Deane, K O’Driscoll, J O’Rourke and S Sherlock 0-1 each.

Roscommon: B Stack 2-0, C Cox 0-5 f, S Killoran, E Smith 1-1 each, A Glennon 0-1 f, D Smith 0-1.

CORK: MA Martin (Nemo Rangers), J Loughrey (Mallow), T Clancy (Clonakilty), K Flahive (Douglas); S White (Clonakilty), S Cronin (Nemo Rangers), M Taylor (Mallow); I Maguire (St Finbarr’s), captain, K O’Hanlon (Kilshannig); E McSweeney (Knocknagree), R Deane (Bantry Blues), K O’Driscoll (Tadhg MacCarthaighs); P Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers), M Collins (Castlehaven), L Connolly (Nemo Rangers). 

Subs: J O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers) for Kerrigan, black card, and M Hurley (Castlehaven) for McSweeney, both half-time, B Hurley (Castlehaven) for Collins 57, C Kiely (Ballincollig) for Cronin 59, R O’Toole (Eire Og) for Clancy 62, S Sherlock (St Finbarr’s) for Connolly 69.

ROSCOMMON: D O’Malley; D Murray, C Daly, G Patterson; N Daly, C Hussey, R Daly; T O’Rourke, S Killoran; B Stack, C Cregg, N Kilroy; A Glennon, C Cox, E Smith. 

Subs: C Compton for N Daly, black card, half-time, F Cregg for C Cregg and A Lyons for Hussey injured 44, D Smith for Kilroy 55, D Murtagh for Glennon 57, H D’Arcy for Compton black card 70+1.

Referee: N Mooney (Cavan).

More in this section

Sponsored Content