Sigerson clinches victory for Killeagh after extra time against Catherine's

Sigerson clinches victory for Killeagh after extra time against Catherine's
Cork's Chloe Sigerson did the business for her club this week. Picture: INPHO/James Crombie

Killeagh 1-14 St Catherine’s 1-13

IT took extra-time to separate St Catherine’s and Killeagh in a scrappy first-round senior championship tie at Castle Road.

In the opening half, neither team gained control. Killeagh, with the aid of the swirling wind, rued their eight first-half wides. Both sides were guilty of wayward passing, Killeagh in particular.

Hannah Looney was an immediate threat. Her two points and a Chloe Sigerson free gave Killeagh a three-point advantage early on, but apart from another Sigerson free, Killeagh didn’t score from play again until the 29th minute.

Aoife Hurley gave the Killeagh defence the runaround at times, but with Laura Treacy manning the full-back position, finding a way through was difficult.

In the 21st minute, St Catherine’s led for the first time. A great Lucy Wallace run found Finola Neville and Mairead Rohan scored the goal. Jessica O’Shea was excellent for Killeagh around the middle of the park and her strike bounced in front of Catherine’s keeper, Denise Twomey, and hit the upper net. That gave Killeagh a 1-5 to 1-4 half-time advantage.

The game became a battle in the second-half, score for score, with space at a minimum. A sublime Chloe Sigerson side-line cut gave Killeagh a two-point advantage.

Catherine’s equalised for the fourth time on the stroke of normal time. Chloe Walsh seemed to have snatched victory for Killeagh, before Finola Neville scored a point two minutes into injury time to force extra-time, at 1-12 apiece.

Three wides by the Saints in the first three minutes of extra-time were matched by three from Killeagh. With darkness creeping in, neither side had hit the target ten minutes.

Only the minimum was going to separate these sides and so it turned out. Hannah Looney and Aoife Hurley swapped points, before a wonderful free by Chloe Sigerson, with three minutes remaining, finished what turned out to be an exciting affair.

Scorers for Killeagh: C Sigerson 0-9 (0-4 f, 0-2 sl), J O’Shea 1-0, H Looney 0-4, C Walsh 0-1.

St Catherine’s: O Cotter 0-6 f, M Rohan 1-0, F Neville 0-3, A Hurley 0-2, J O’Keeffe, L O’Donnell 0-1 each.

KILLEAGH: S Beausang; E Treacy, L Treacy, A Walsh; C Daly, L McEvoy, J O’Gorman; J O’Shea, N O’Keeffe; C Sigerson, L O’Gorman, C Harney; C Walsh, K Ahern, H Looney.

Subs: A O’Driscoll for K Ahern (h-t),

ST CATHERINE’S: D Twomey; O Neville, C Motherway, A M Rohan; R O’Callaghan, O Cotter, E Ronayne; L Hayes, M O’Keeffe; A Hurley, F Neville, L Wallace; N O’Regan, M Rohan, J O’Keeffe.

Subs: L O’Donnell for M Rohan (49), M Walsh for N O’Regan.

Referee: Simon Stokes (Tullylease).

More in this section

Sponsored Content