Carbery camogie team hold off battling Ballincollig comeback

Carbery camogie team hold off battling Ballincollig comeback
Laura Mannix, Carbery, getting her shot away despite the attention of Aoife Cotter, Ballincollig. Picture: Dan Linehan

Carbery 1-17 Ballincollig 1-13

CARBERY had to survive a spirited Ballincollig comeback in the third round of the SE Systems Senior Camogie Championship, despite a 0-13 to 0-3 half-time lead.

If Ballincollig had played with the same determination as they did in the second half for the hour they might have won. Carbery were pinned to their collars to hold on.

As the half-time score indicated, the divisional side dominated the opening 30 minutes and they hit Ballincollig with huge intensity as they opened up a 10-point interval lead. Orla Cronin converted four frees and with Tara Sheehan causing Ballincollig huge problems in the corner to the tune of 0-3, and Maeve Lynch, Libby Coppinger, and Ciara O’Sullivan chipping in, Ballincollig were dazzled by the headlights.

Hannah O’Leary’s pair of frees and an Orla McCarthy score were all that Collig managed and they were relieved to be able to regroup at half-time.

Lynch extended Carbery’s lead with an early second-half point, but a much improved Ballincollig began to come at their opponents. O’Leary converted a couple of frees before Cronin and Patricia Buttimer swapped points.


Hannah Sexton finished a ground shot to the net with 12 minutes remaining, followed by Sheehan adding a point and it looked all over.

Ciara O’Sullivan, Carbery, about to strike watched by Sarah Buckley, Ballincollig. Picture: Dan Linehan
Ciara O’Sullivan, Carbery, about to strike watched by Sarah Buckley, Ballincollig. Picture: Dan Linehan

Ballincollig refused to wilt and came at Carbery with four points on the trot. Cronin steadied the Carbery nerves with a free, their last score of the game.

Buttimer converted a long-range effort from a free before striking another point from play from distance. Then another free bounced to the roof of the net and just four points separated the sides with five minutes remaining.

Battling hard, Carbery had to defend with all their might as Ballincollig laid siege. The game was now being played in the Carbery half.

Ballincollig won a free and chose to drop it in as they battled for a goal, but the effort was blocked and maybe they should have pointed and tried to get it down to a single score.

In the minutes that remained, Carbery had to stand tall to protect their lead, which they did under a lot of pressure.

They were grateful to an excellent opening half display which ensured they booked their quarter-final place against Sarsfield’s.

Scorers for Carbery: O Cronin0-7 (0-6 f), T Sheehan 0-4, H Sexton 1-0, C O’Sullivan, M Lynch 0-2 each, M Barrett L Coppinger 0-1 each.

Ballincollig: P Buttimer 1-4 (1-2 f), H O’Leary 0-6 f, O McCarthy 0-2, D Cronin 0-1.

CARBERY: E White; M Sexton, D Carroll, A Crowley; M Murphy, C Kingston, M Sexton; M Lynch, L Coppinger; H Sexton, O Cronin, M Barrett; T Sheehan, C O’Sullivan, S Burke.

Subs: K Wall for M Lynch (43), D O’Brien for M Murphy (47), S Hurley for M Barrett (56).

BALLINCOLLIG: A Hartnett; M O’Leary, S Keating, C Healy; D Cronin, S Buckley, A Cotter; L Dorgan (c), H O’Leary; O McCarthy, S Coomey, P Buttimer; O Keating, C Hennigan, A Lovett.

Sub: O O’Leary for C Hennigan (56).

Ref: Ger Ahern (Cloughduv).

More in this section

Sponsored Content