Glen U21 hurlers grab their chance against great rivals Na Piarsaigh

Glen U21 hurlers grab their chance against great rivals Na Piarsaigh

Glen Rovers' Robert Downey wins the ball from Na Piarsaigh's David Burke during the Cork U21 HC at Páirc Uí Chaoimh. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Glen Rovers 2-16 Na Piarsaigh 2-13

GLEN Rovers are through to the next stage of the Premier 1 U21 Hurling Championship as they defeated Na Piarsaigh by a goal in their second-round clash on the Pairc Ui Chaoimh astro turf on Saturday evening.

An excellent display from Evan Murphy – both from play and frees – helped his side defeat their great rivals.

Picture: Eddie O'Hare
Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Rovers started brightly and they raced into a two-point lead inside the opening three minutes with Murphy needing no time at all to find his range from open play and from a dead ball situation.

Na Piarsaigh soon settled into the contest and after a brace of scores from their own full forward Evan Sheehan levelled terms, they edged in front in the eight-minute thanks to a free from the accurate Greg Healy.

But the Glen soon regained control of proceedings and inspired by Murphy and midfielder Dale Tynan, they grabbed five overs without reply to make it 0-7 to 0-3 by the beginning of the second quarter.

Healy raised a white flag from another set-piece shortly before Na Piarsaigh levelled the scores when Kevin Moynihan fired into the roof of the net from a tight angle following good work from Luke Murphy and Dan Gunning.

But Rovers mustered the perfect response as they got their first goal just one minute later when Shane Busteed slotted the sliotar past the keeper after being picked out by a clever hand pass from Murphy.

They scored four without reply but their North Cork rivals – led by the clinical Greg Healy – notched five points in a row either side of the half time break to ensure they only trailed by two in the 40th minute, 1-11 to 1-9.

Murphy fired over another free but Healy did likewise moments later before a superb solo point from Eoin Galvin and a goal on the half volley from Kelvin Forde put Na Piarsaigh in front, 2-11 to 1-12.

Picture: Eddie O'Hare
Picture: Eddie O'Hare

But the Glen showed their class in the final 10 minutes as they outscored their feisty opponents 1-4 to 0-2 – the goal coming from the recently introduced substitute Josh Galvin – as they held on to win by a goal.

Scorers for Glen Rovers: E Murphy 0-6 (0-3 f), L Horgan 0-4, D Tynan 0-3, S Busteed and J Galvin 1-0 each, S Kennefick 0-2, D Kennefick 0-1.

Na Piarsaigh: G Healy 0-7 (0-5 f), K Moynihan 1-2, K Forde 1-0, E Sheehan 0-3 (0-1 f), E Galvin 0-1.

GLEN ROVERS: C Long; G Marshall, D Morris, A Lordan; C O’Sullivan, R Downey, G Mulcahy; S Kennefick, D Tynan; D Kennefick, L Quilligan, L Horgan; N Goulding, E Murphy, S Busteed.

Subs: D Milner for G Mulcahy (46), J Galvin for N Goulding (55), R Byrne for S Busteed (61).

NA PIARSAIGH: L Donovan; A Higgins, K Power, L Murphy; C Flynn, J Morrissey, C Bowen; C Hanifin, G Healy; E Galvin, D Gunning, K Moynihan; K Forde, E Sheehan, D Maguire.

Sub: D Kenny for C Flynn (19).

Referee: Ciaran O’Regan (Ballyhea).

More in this section

Sponsored Content