Underdogs Kilworth push past Inniscarra to Premier Intermediate Hurling decider

Underdogs Kilworth push past Inniscarra to Premier Intermediate Hurling decider
Kieran Lane, Kilworth, in action against Inniscarra. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

Kilworth 2-16 Inniscarra 0-15

SEVEN years after winning the intermediate hurling title, Kilworth will contest the Cork Premier intermediate hurling final for the first time when they come up against Fr O’Neill’s. 

Two first-half goals set them on their way in Páirc Uí Rinn yesterday. As well, Noel McNamara’s contribution of 1-10 was hugely significant.

The first green flag came from McNamara 14 minutes into the match and the second was a real tonic arriving two minutes into stoppage time courtesy of Jamie Sheehan.

Sheehan’s strike came when Inniscarra – after playing with the wind – were holding a two-point lead. It enabled the Avondhu men go to the dressing-room in the ascendancy, and that provided the platform for success.

Inniscarra lined out minus injured captain and Cork star Seán O’Donoghue and they received a further upset when centre-back John O’Callaghan had to retire injured moments before the interval. Earlier in the half, attacker David O’Keeffe was forced off also.

Nonetheless, as we have become accustomed to, this team gave it their all. A combination of some wasteful shooting and the tenacity shown by Kilworth, especially late in the second half, proved to be the difference.

Wind assisted Inniscarra started brightly, moving 0-4 to 0-1 ahead with points from Michael Coleman, Andrew McCarthy (2) and Colm Casey. However, the good work was undone when McNamara scored a cracking goal after he bore in along the end line.

It was nip and tuck before free-taker Coleman put Inniscarra three ahead. It was a two-point game when Sheehan rounded his man to register Kilworth’s second goal in the 32nd minute. Consequently, they led 2-6 to 0-11 at the short whistle.

Kilworth were quickly off the mark in the second half with McNamara finding the target from a placed ball. Two excellent points from Eddie O’Connor meant that Inniscarra weren’t going away. O’Connor, too, had a shot at goal saved by Kieran Walsh.

Lucky not to concede a goal, Kilworth started to pull away midway through the half. Three McNamara points showing their intent. Inniscarra were finding scores harder to come upon, and when Casey shot his fourth from play, they were two adrift.

Kilworth were able to up the ante again, Brian Tobin, Eoin Carey and McNamara pushing the five up coming down the straight.

They would outscore Inniscarra six points to one in those closing stages. Inniscarra did come close to goaling, Nathan Byrne clearing off the line at the death.

Scorers for Kilworth: N McNamara 1-10 (0-8 f), J Sheehan 1-1, B Tobin 0-2, L Whelan, E Carey and W Condon 0-1 each.

Inniscarra: M Coleman 0-6 f, C Casey 0-4, E O’Connor 0-3, A McCarthy 0-2.

KILWORTH: K Walsh; M O’Connor K Lane, M McNamara; N Byrne, D Twomey, A O’Hara; B Tobin, E McGrath; S Keane, L Whelan, N McNamara; J Sheehan, E Carey, W Condon.

Sub: P Moakley for M O’Connor (46).

INNISCARRA: J O’Keeffe; J O’Sullivan, B O’Mahony, L Ryan; C O’Leary, J O’Callaghan, C Lombard; A McCarthy, M Coleman; D O’Keeffe, C Buckley, O McCarthy, E O’Connor, C Casey, M O’Connell.

Subs: S O’Mahony for D O’Keeffe (15 inj), S Olden for J O’Callaghan (30 inj), C Bennett for C Buckley (48), P Holland for M O’Connell (53), D Hughes for A McCarthy (59 inj).

Referee: Brian Murphy (Carrigtwohill).

More in this section

Sponsored Content