Camogie champs Inniscarra find a way past determined St Catherine's

Camogie champs Inniscarra find a way past determined St Catherine's

Niamh McCarthy, Inniscarra, about to grab the sliotar ahead of Carolyn Motherway, St Catherine’s. Pictures: Jim Coughlan

Inniscarra 1-14 St Catherine’s 2-8

Defending champions Inniscarra have kept their aspirations of a third successive title on track as they defeated St Catherine’s in the first quarter-final of the SE Systems Cork Senior Camogie Championship in blustery conditions at Castle Road on Saturday evening.

This game was dictated by the wind as St Catherine’s made a promising start with a goal from the throw-in, while Inniscarra took a grip on proceedings as they restricted the Imokilly side to two further scores in the opening half. St Catherine’s outscored the Muskerry side by 1-6 to 0-4 after the break, with five points from placed balls by Orla Cotter.

Aoife Hurley put the Imokilly side in front with a goal following a solo run through the Inniscarra defence before Niamh Dilworth replied with a pointed free for the Muskerry side. Cotter pointed a free for St Catherine’s before the Ballynoe side found themselves pinned back for most of the opening quarter.

Aileen Sheehan put the Muskerry side ahead for the first time and they were awarded a penalty from which Rena Buckley’s shot was deflected over the bar in the 13th minute. Wayward puck-outs were proving to be costly for St Catherine’s as Sheehan capitalised on a defensive error to stretch the margin to 1-4 to 1-1.

Hurley tagged on a point from play for St Catherine’s in the 17th minute but Inniscarra replied with six unanswered points, with Dilworth converting two frees and Ellen Murphy slotting over two points from play. Erin Looney and Treasa McCarthy where the Mid Cork side’s other point scorers as they led by 1-10 to 1-2 at the break.

With the wind at their backs for the second half, St Catherine’s were quick off the mark as Laura Hayes scored their second goal following a puck-out in the 32nd minute, to reduce the margin to five points.

Dilworth and Cotter traded points from frees before Katie O’Mahony scored Inniscarra’s only point from play of the second half. Cotter then slatted over three unanswered points from frees to leave four points between the sides entering the final quarter.

Dilworth tagged on two pointed frees for the Muskerry side as St Catherine’s laid siege to the Inniscarra goal in the closing stages. Cotter pointed her fifth free and the Ballynoe side had two 45s in stoppage time, with Cotter converting the second. Finola Neville scored the Imokilly side’s only point from play in the second half deep into stoppage time.

Scorers: Inniscarra: N Dilworth 0-7 (0-6f); A Sheehan 1-1; E Murphy 0-2; R Buckley 0-1 pen; K O’Mahony, T McCarthy, E Looney 0-1 each.

St Catherine’s: O Cotter 0-6 (0-5f, 0-1 45); A Hurley 1-1, L Hayes 1-0; F Neville 0-1.

INNISCARRA: S Walsh; A O’Regan, C Looney, D O’Callaghan; A Sheehan, R Buckley, C Ring; C Keane, K O’Mahony; R Keane, N Dilworth, E Looney, T McCarthy, N McCarthy, E Murphy.

Subs: A Kavanagh for O’Callaghan (44); E O’Reilly for O’Regan (60, inj).

St CATHERINE’S: D Twomey; O Neville, C Motherway, AM Rohan; R O’Callaghan, E Ronayne, L Wallace; O Cotter, M O’Keeffe; F Neville, L O’Donnell, L Hayes; A Hurley, N O’Regan, J O’Keeffe.

Sub: M Rohan for O’Regan (h/t).

Referee: John O’Leary (Mallow).

More in this section

Sponsored Content