St Michael's dazzle Kanturk in replay to reach another county football final

St Michael's dazzle Kanturk in replay to reach another county football final
Tom Lenihan, St Michael’s getting his pass away watched by Kyle Holland, Kanturk. Picture: Dan Linehan

St Michael’s 2-11 Kanturk1-4

ST MICHAEL’S are through to the PIFC final after their replay win over Kanturk at Páirc Uí Rinn.

By half-time this game was well and truly over as a contest, with the Dazzlers leading by 2-9 to 1-2 and one can only wonder what happened to Kanturk between the drawn game and here.

They are a better side than that display, but had no answer to Michael’s who were simply superb.

From start to finish they were by far the better side with the likes of Tadhg Deasy, Shane O’Keeffe and Alan O’Callaghan outstanding. They even had the luxury of losing influential midfielder, Andrew Murphy, to injury in the warm-up and they will be hoping he recovers in time for the final next week.

Deasy opened the scoring in the first minute, with Paul Walsh equalising for Kanturk.

The warning signs were there as early as the third minute for Kanturk when Deasy burst through their defence, only to be denied by a good save from Jordan Fullerton. Eric Hegarty and two from Deasy made it 0-4 to 0-1, with 12 minutes gone.

A minute later and Michael’s had their first goal, when Deasy made no mistake this time, with Keith Hegarty adding a point, to make it 1-5 to 0-1 after 15 minutes.

A great run forward from Alan O’Callaghan brought another save from Fullerton, but Liam O’Sullivan was quickest to the breaking ball for Michael’s second goal.

Deasy added two more points before Ian Walsh got their second point, with 24 minutes gone.

Deasy and Dan Lenihan were on target before Kanturk were thrown a lifeline in the last minute of the half when Ian Walsh played Daniel O’Connell in, to make it 2-9 to 1-2 at the break.

The second-half was a poor affair with only four scores over the 32 minutes but it mattered little as the Dazzlers now face Éire Óg next week in the final.

Scorers for St Michael’s: T Deasy 1-6 (0-2 f), L O’Sullivan 1-1, K Hegarty, D Cremin, E Hegarty, D Lenihan 0-1 each.

Kanturk: D O’Connell 1-0, I Walsh 0-2 f, P Walsh, M Healy 0-1 each.

St MICHAEL’S: M Burke; D Cormack, R Dineen, O O’Sullivan; T Lenihan, A O’Callaghan, D Meaney; B Cain, L O’Sullivan; D Lenihan, E Hegarty, K Hegarty; T Deasy, S O’Keeffe, D Cremin.

Subs: E Buckley for D Cremin, E Sheehan for D Cormack (both 39), A Hennessy for D Lenihan (48), E Hickey for E Hegarty (50), J Golden for B Cain, S Keating for K Hegarty (both 60).

KANTURK: J Fullerton; J McLoughlin, D Browne, J Carver; A Sheehy, L O’Neill, L McLoughlin; A Walsh, P Walsh; M Healy, R Walsh, D O’Connell; K Holland, I Walsh, J Fitzpatrick.

Subs: L O’Keeffe for K Holland (39), C Clernon for R Walsh (44), C Mullane for D O’Connell (BC 48), D O’Connor for A Sheehy (50), L Cashman for J Carver, E Geaney for L McLoughlin (58).

Referee: David Murnane, Macroom.

More in this section

Sponsored Content