Second-half scoring spree sends Rockies past the Glen U21s

Second-half scoring spree sends Rockies past the Glen U21s

Eoghan O’Shea, the Blackrock goalkeeper, gets his body in the way of this Lee Quilligan shot. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

Blackrock 6-12 Glen Rovers 2-11

BLACKROCK are through to the last eight of the Cork County U21 Premier 1 Hurling Championship after they defeated a spirited Glen Rovers side by 13 points on the Páirc Uí Chaoimh astroturf.

Brilliant scoring displays from Tadhg Deasy, John O’Sullivan, and Alan Connolly were enough to see the Rockies through to the last eight in style.

The Glen were beaten by a point in the first round of this competition in an enthralling game against Ballincollig, but they recovered by defeating Na Piarsaigh to reach this stage. However, they were without their best-known hurler Robert Downey here.

They grabbed the first score of the game here inside the first minute, as Lee Quilligan fired over from a difficult position.

Blackrock were well beaten by Sarsfields in the first round, but they also bounced back by demolishing Bishopstown last weekend. They soon showed their quality, getting on the scoreboard moments later through their own number 12, John O’Sullivan.

The two clubs soon swapped scores before the Rockies upped the tempo and threatened to race clear.

Corner-forward Alan Connolly fired over the black spot before they scored the first goal of the game when O’Sullivan drilled the ball into the bottom-left corner of the net to see them lead 1-3 to 0-2 after just six minutes.

The Glen responded with a free from Evan Murphy, but their talented rivals would quickly score their second goal of the evening, with Alan Connolly drilling a stunning strike into the top-left corner to make it 2-3 to 0-3.

Rovers refused to give up, and midway through the first period of play, Evan Murphy added another brilliant point before Darragh Kennefick batted Lee Quilligan’s hopeful pass into the back of the net from close range.

But the Rockies showed their class and scored five of the next seven points to take a 2-8 to 1-6 advantage into the half-time break.

They never looked back after that, as they added further goals in the second period.

John O’Sullivan raised a green flag with a brilliant strike, Deasy fired a penalty into the top-left corner, Connolly kicked one home, and James Walsh also got in on the act late on to seal their place in the next round.

Scorers for Blackrock: J O’Sullivan 2-3, A Connolly 2-2 (0-1 f), T Deasy 1-2, J Walsh 1-0, R Cotter 0-3, M O’Keefe 0-2.

Glen Rovers: E Murphy 0-6 (0-4 f), S Kennefick and O O’Neill 1-0 each, L Quilligan 0-2, D Kennefick, D Tynan and D Murphy 0-1 each.

BLACKROCK: E O’Shea; J Golden, S Cormack, F Cronin; C McCarthy, D Cormack, R Coleman; T Deasy, B Cain; P Leneghan, M O’Keefe, J O’Sullivan; E Sheehan, R Cotter, A Connolly.

Subs: L Grainger for E Sheehan (47), S Green for C McCarthy (52), J Walsh for A Connolly (52), R Buckley for J Golden (56), K Buckley for F Cronin (56).

GLEN ROVERS: C Long; G Marshall, D Morris, A Lordan; C O’Sullivan, S Corcoran, G Mulcahy; S Kennefick, L Horgan; D Kennefick, D Tynan, L Quilligan; S Busteed, D Murphy, E Murphy.

Subs: N Goulding for L Horgan (19), D Milner for D Murphy (54).

Referee: Cathal McAllister (Aghada).

More in this section

Sponsored Content



Add to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more