Midleton return to U21 hurling final after three-goal burst against Shandrum

Midleton return to U21 hurling final after three-goal burst against Shandrum
Midleton's Sam Quirke breaks from Shandrum's Jack Twomey in the U21 hurling semi-final. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Midleton 3-14 Shandrum 0-12

MIDLETON are back in the Cork Premier 1 U21 hurling championship final after they got the better of Shandrum at Páirc Uí Rinn on Saturday.

Even though they will have a wait a while to find out their opponents, they now have an opportunity to atone for last year’s defeat to Fr O’Neill’s after a classic final in which they lost after extra time.

Shandrum – a Dromina/Newtownshandrum combination – battled hard, but they couldn’t get any nearer than four points in the second half after trailing 2-4 to 0-5 at the break.

Paudie O’Brien’s goal two minutes from time saw Midleton – who will have to work on their shooting - run out convincing winners.

Shandrum’s Cormac O’Brien opened the scoring in the first minute and it was Sean O’Leary Hayes who got Midleton up and running and they began to find their stride when Kevin Finn netted following good approach play from Paudie O’Brien and Garan Manley.

Paul O’Sullivan then landed the scores of the match for Shandrum after a superb catch.

It wasn’t long before Midleton were back in the driving seat when Manley goaled to give his side a 2-1 to 0-2 lead.

Sean O’Meara fired an excellent pair of points to push the lead to seven points, but Shandrum’s Daragh Guiney and Conor Griffin cut the deficit to five at the interval.

That gap remained throughout the third quarter, at the end of which Shandrum trailed 2-8 to 0-8.

With Sean O’Sullivan and O’Leary Hayes anchoring a solid defence, Paudie O’Brien’s 58th-minute goal ended the game as a contest.

They enjoyed a storming finish with Sam Quirke and Ross O’Regan getting in on the scoring act.

Midleton's Paudie O'Brien celebrates his goal. Picture: Eddie O'Hare
Midleton's Paudie O'Brien celebrates his goal. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Scorers for Midleton: G Manley (1-3, 0-1 free), P O’Brien (1-2), K Finn (1-0), S O’Meara (0-4), S Quirke (0-2), R O’Regan (0-2), S O’Leary Hayes (0-1).

Shandrum: C Griffin (0-6, 0-5 frees), C O’Brien (0-3), P O’Sullivan, D Guiney and J Twomey (0-1 each).

MIDLETON: A Power; A Daly, S O’Sullivan, C O’Brien; E Moloney, S O’Leary Hayes, C Gunning; T O’Connell, K Finn; P O’Brien, S O’Meara, C Farmer; S Quirke, R O’Regan, G Manley.

Subs: A Mulcahy for C Farmer (30+2), E Mitchell for S Quirke (63).

SHANDRUM: E Finn; K Foley, K O’Sullivan, D Hawe; C Shanahan, C O’Brien, P O’Sullivan; D Guiney, L Morrissey; B Buckley, C Boles, J Twomey; C Griffin, J Geary, K O’Leary.

Subs: A O’Leary for K O’Leary (35), B Pulis for D Guiney (58), C O’Mahony for J Twomey (59), J McAuliffe for C Boles (60).

Referee: Teddy O’Donovan (Douglas).

More in this section

Sponsored Content