Newcestown U21s have extra in the tank to capture county football crown

Newcestown U21s have extra in the tank to capture county football crown

The Newcestown team celebrate their victory over Aghabullogue in the U21 B football final. Picture: Dan Linehan

Newcestown 0-14 Aghabullogue 0-11
(after extra time)

NEWCESTOWN lifted the Cork County U21 B Football title after they deservedly defeated Aghbullogue 0-14 to 0-11 following extra time at Páirc Uí Rinn yesterday.

With the scores level after regulation time, an additional period of play was required and Newcestown, led by Edmund Kenneally, powered through to claim the silverware.

Both sides started with a quick pace but it was Newcestown who got on the scoreboard thanks to a well-taken free from Edmund Kenneally.

Olan Walsh looked like he was racing clear on goal but referee Cathal Ó Murchú from Brian Dillions had already awarded a free in which Kenneally dispatched expertly.

Centre-back Gearoid O’Donovan spilt the uprights with a great strike after some patient build-up play from the forwards and Padraig Collins extended their lead when he raised a white flag in the seventh minute, 0-3 to 0-0.

It took Aghabullogue until the end of the first quarter to finally open their account here as Luke Casey slotted his set-piece over the black spot.

The Green and Whites would only grab one more point before the half time break and it again came through Casey with a dead ball situation.

In between those two conversions, Newcestown scored three without reply with the pick of the scores coming from right half-forward David Buckley to ensure they were in front 0-6 to 0-2 at the interval.

Left half-back Jack Murphy almost raced clear on goal but his bounce got stuck in the mucky surface at Páirc Uí Rinn before Luke Casey eventually drilled the ball over from a tight angle.

Newcestown hit back with points from David Buckley and an Edmund Kenneally free but Aghabullogue to their credit responded well despite trailing 0-8 to 0-3.

Full forward David Thompson took over the responsibility for the frees and his four excellently taken shots sailed over the bar – substitute Matthew Bradley also scored a point in that time – helped them level the scores 0-8 to 0-8 after the 48 minutes.

Newcestown thought they had won it late on but a stunning free from Thompson eight minutes into injury time sent the game to extra time.

But they would rally again in the added 20 minutes — winning 0-4 to 0-1 — to secure the cup by three points.

Scorers for Newcestown: E Kenneally 0-6 (0-5 f), D Buckley 0-3, C O’Donovan, P Collins, E Collins, C Dinneen and G O’Donovan 0-1 each.

Aghabullogue: D Thompson 0-6 f, L Casey 0-3 (0-2 f), M Bradley and P Dilworth 0-1 each.

NEWCESTOWN: S Scanlon; G Murphy, J Kelleher, D Buttimer; S O’Sullivan, G O’Donovan, M Shorten; C Dineen, E Collins; D Buckley, P Collins, O Walsh; E Kenneally, C O’Donovan, C Goggin.

Subs: D McAree for S O’Sullivan (58), S O’Sullivan for O Walsh (69), C Wilson for D McAree (78), O Walsh for E Collins (81, black card).

AGHABULLOGUE: D Lane; K Barry Murphy, C Smith, T Long; P Dilworth, P Ring, J Murphy; S Tarrant, S O’Connell; L Casey, N Barry Murphy; P O’Sullivan; A Healy, D Thompson, T Bradley.

Subs: M Bradley for P O’Sullivan (22), A Murphy for C Smith (31, black card), K O’Sullivan for A Healy (41), J Oldham for T Bradley (54), P O’Sullivan for J Oldham (74), A Healy for P Dilworth (79).

Referee: Cathal Ó Murchú (Brian Dillions).

More in this section

Sponsored Content



Add to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more