AUL soccer: Coachford secure AOH Cup semi-final place in style

AUL soccer: Coachford secure AOH Cup semi-final place in style
Photos for Wednesday The Coachford side that had a 3-0 victory over Glen Celtic in the quarter-final stage of the AOH Cup at the Glebe oin Sunday. Picture: Barry Peelo.

Coachford 3 Glen Celtic 0

COACHFORD are through to the AOH Cup semi-final after a convincing 3-0 victory over Glen Celtic at the Glebe over the weekend.

The Premier side were certainly good value for their victory as they were in command of proceedings throughout.

In defence, they were tight and sharp while in midfield, they had the upper hand and on the offense, they had a noticeable cutting edge about them which was coupled with some clinical finishing in the end.

The first ten minutes was a scrappy affair as Luke Casey sees his free kick whistle past the upright.

A great ball from Vinny Lonergan picked out John Corcoran and when it came to pulling the trigger, the Glen striker was denied by a superb tackle from Mark Murphy.

Neat build up play from Coachford followed that in the end sees Ian Barry Murphy drilling narrowly wide with a sparkling low effort.

But, at the other end, Gary Nolan collects from Mark Nolan before turning to slam goalwards – only to see Aidan Buckley get in the way with a good block and from the loose ball, Vinny Lonergan skewed off course with his effort near the edge of the box.

Glen came close when from a free kick; John Corcoran was unlucky to see his fizzing effort whistle agonisingly past the upright.

At the other end, Brendan Long needed to be really sharp when he leapt to his left to tip a stinging effort from Luke Casey away for a corner.

But, on the half hour, the ice was broken when space in midfield allowed Coachford to produce some nice improvised play before Evan O’Sullivan played one in for Luke Casey who produced a super finish with a cracking effort that flashed into the net – 1-0 to Coachford.

A free kick for Coachford followed soon afterwards which saw Casey rifle narrowly wide before Gary Nolan brought a fine save from Murray at the other end from his free kick.

Then, just before the break, Luke Casey made in-roads down the right channel before skewing wide as Brendan Long advanced.

Coachford did the early pressing as the second half got under way with Sean O’Sullivan collecting from Ian Barry Murphy before firing over from 20 and from Matthew Bradley’s cross, David Thompson headed straight into the hands of Long.

But, from a through ball, Thompson showed admirable balance and composure before slotting past the advancing Long to double his side’s advantage on 53 minutes.

A stinging low effort from Sean O’Sullivan followed which had Brendan Long collecting at the second time of asking.

And from Chris O’Keeffe’s shot-cum-cross, Stephen Murray had to stretch before tipping out for a corner.

From the ensuing corner, Vinny Lonergan headed wide at the far post.

The action soon shifted back to the Glen half as Evan O’Sullivan collects from Casey before forcing a sharp save from Long.

Coachford were certainly on the front-foot now and it should have been three when Evan O’Sullivan played in Casey who guided wide of the post as Long advanced.

A great chance fell for Glen next when John Corcoran’s cross reaches Ian Kent, but he failed to dispatch with conviction as the goal gaped.

Then, came the goal of the game.

And it was really all down to Glen’s inability to clear the lines which gave Mark Murphy the opportunity to execute what can only be described as a wonder strike that torpedoed into the top corner to really sew the tie up in earnest for Coachford – 3-0 in the end to the Premier side.

COACHFORD: Stephen Murray, Billy Casey, Matthew Bradley, Mark Murphy, Aidan Buckley, Adam Murphy, Evan O’Sullivan, Sean O’Sullivan, David Thompson, Luke Casey and Ian Barry Murphy.

Subs: Eoghan Maher for David Thompson (60), James Cotter for Ian Barry Murphy (81), Gary Foulkes for Sean O’Sullivan (82), Dara Lynch for Evan O’Sullivan (86), Cialan O’Sullivan for Luke Casey (89).

GLEN CELTIC: Brendan Long, Sean O’Connor, Chris O’Keeffe, Ivan Skillington, Daniel O’Callaghan, Patrick Long, Mark Nolan, John Corcoran, Gary Nolan, William Cavanagh and Vinny Lonergan.

Subs: Ian Kent for William Cavanagh (50), Brandon Downey for Mark Nolan (58), Tom McGrath for Daniel O’Callaghan (86).

Referee: Ray Murphy.

More in this section

Sponsored Content