Cork County Board meeting report: New fundraising structure to be finalised with Cáirde Chorcaí and Páirc Uí Chaoimh

Cork County Board meeting report: New fundraising structure to be finalised with Cáirde Chorcaí and Páirc Uí Chaoimh
Scene from the Cork and Derry clash at Páirc Uí Chaoimh last weekend. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

THE CORK County Board is set to implement a new cohesive fundraising structure which unites the board, Páirc Uí Chaoimh and current fundraising body Cáirde Chorcaí.

At Tuesday night’s monthly county board meeting in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, county chairperson Tracey Kennedy revealed that talks have commenced between the board, Cáirde Chorcaí and representatives of the stadium board, with the aim of coming up with a coherent structure.

She told the meeting that a special meeting to ratify this structure may be needed before the next scheduled board meeting on April 7 but that otherwise a plan would be presented at that meeting in a month’s time.

In addition, business advisory firm BDO has been appointed to develop a business plan for the board and stadium. “We are working to set down a timeframe,” Kennedy said, “we hope that that will be delivered in the early summer at the latest.” 

Kennedy also thanked Michelle McAleer, whose secondment to the stadium had ended. The stadium board and the county board have since agreed, pending the commercial plan, to advertise for three posts, coming under the headings of commercial, facilities and accounting.

Elsewhere, Youghal delegate Liam Ó Laochdha spoke against the decision to take away complimentary match passes, which had been passed at the last meeting, which he had missed.

“I’m very, very disappointed at this withdrawal,” he said, “I looked at it as your appreciation of our efforts.

“It seems quite petty. We were assured that there would be no levy on clubs to finance Páirc Uí Chaoimh, but this is a levy.” 

Tracey Kennedy said that more than 900 passes used to be given out each year and that people previously entitled to them can avail of a season ticket at a reduced rate of €50. 

“I was delighted to have paid for mine,” she said, “I said that we had to look at ourselves first, we all remember Christmases where things were tight and we’d say, ‘No presents for each other.’ 

“This is one small contribution we can all make to get this ship back on the right course.” 

Jerry Howe, St Nicholas delegate, felt that players who had won All-Ireland senior titles with Cork should be exempted from the change, but Kennedy said that there had already been All-Ireland medallists in contact with her wondering how quickly they could pay their €50.

Peadar Mac Domhnaill (Cloughduv) noted that Liam Ó Laochdha had pointed out that the decision to award the passes had been made at convention and he asked if a similar move to reverse it would also need to take place at convention. 

Tracey Kennedy said that this was a policy rather than a rule or bye-law and that it had been passed by the county board.

Meanwhile, county board secretary Kevin O’Donovan acknowledged that, when the master fixture list had been published, there had been concerns about the county-wide junior B and junior C competitions ending too early.

As a result, he said that the knockout stages of those competitions would now being in late June rather than the original time of early May and proceed fairly briskly after that.

More in this section

Sponsored Content