CORK City have issued a statement reiterating the club’s stance that financial viability and the health of players and staff will be the key factors in whether it supports the FAI’s package for the return of the SSE Airtricity League of Ireland.
On Thursday and Friday, the FAI held discussions with clubs on how to safely resume the current league season. With clubs unlikely to be able to open their grounds to capacity for some time, bridging the shortfall in gate receipts is the primary stumbling block.
Earlier this week, City chairman Declan Carey said that that issue, and the need to ensure the health and safety of those involved, were the main things to sort.
“We won't step foot on the field of play unless those concerns are addressed and we have viable solutions,” he said.
City’s statement released on Friday evening was broadly similar to what Carey had previously said.
“Along with our fellow SSE Airtricity League clubs, Cork City FC have today received an update from the FAI regarding the financial package on offer for a return to football.
“The club has been actively engaged in regular discussions with the FAI and other clubs over the last number of weeks, as we work together to plot a course for a return after this unprecedented crisis.
"We would commend all concerned on the efforts they have made over the past three months to get us to this point.
"It is our fervent desire for all of our teams to return to playing football as soon as it is medically and financially safe to do so, and having received the details of the package from the FAI, we will now take a period of time to examine and assess the information.
"We have an obligation to safeguard both the health and well-being of our players and staff, whilst also safeguarding the financial viability of the club, and this is the basis on which we will assess the information received.
“The club will not be making any further comment at this time.”